Chapter 17

I grab Jane's hand as she leads me out of my hospital room. I have some trouble walking, but I want to see 012 as quickly as I can.

It seems as if hours go by until we reach his room. I slowly open the door. Jane stays out to give us some privacy.

012 is staring at the ceiling when I walk in. His black hair falls over his pillow in messy curls. He looks healthier, but still weak. When I sit down next to him he turns to face me. He smiles a toothy smile. His eyes light up when he sees me. And I can only assume mine do as well.

"012," my breath hitches in my throat. I blink away tears as flashbacks of the past flash through my mind. I feel his hand trap mine. It's rough, but strangely nice. I look into his dark eyes. "I'm sorry. I'm so sorry that I didn't help you sooner. Now you'll be stuck in the hospital for who knows how long."

"It's not your fault. We both know who is to blame," his voice comes out raspy. I try my hardest not to break down. "It was Dr. Brenner."

"Papa." I can still hear his voice in my head sometimes. I hear him yelling at me. Telling me that I failed him. That he'll never forgive me.

I don't feel the tears as they stream down my face. 012 quickly sits up and grabs my face with both his hands. He brings his forehead to mine as wipes my tears as they fall.

"It's okay. He can't hurt you. He's not here." It almost sounds as if he is reassuring himself more than me.

"I don't want him to hurt us ever again. But, I miss him. I know it's crazy but I miss him. He was the only father I've ever had."

He pulls me into the hospital bed with him and wraps his arms around me. He lets me cry into his shoulder. I curl into him and try to keep my body from trembling.

"I won't let him hurt you (Y/N)," 012 says after I've calmed down. He places his chin on the top of my head. His dark hair tickles my forehead.

"I won't let Papa hurt you, Jane or Will ever again," I whisper into his small chest. "I won't let him hurt the people I love."

And with those last words my exhaustion overtakes me.

——

It has been well over an hour since (Y/N) went in to see 012, and visiting hours are almost over. Jane paces the hospital hallway debating whether or not to go in. She doesn't want to interrupt their alone time, but it would be better if she did than a random nurse.

After another fifteen minutes she decides to knock on the door. There is no answer. Her heart rate doubles. Horrible thoughts rush through her mind. She swings the door open to find both of them fast asleep.

012 arms are around (Y/N)'s small torso. And her arms are up against his chest.

Jane's heart stops at the sight. She inches closer to the two sleeping figures. Her hand slowly hovers over (Y/N). She slowly places it down on her arm and lightly shakes her awake.

Her (e/c) eyes slowly open. They are glazed, but quickly go wide when she takes in her surroundings. As gently as possible she removes 012's arms from around her and slips out of the hospital bed. She stumbles into Jane's arms and hugs her tightly.

"Sorry, I didn't know how tired I was until I was already asleep," she says quietly. Jane pulls away from the hug and looks at her softly.

"You're fine. Don't worry about it," she grabs (Y/N)'s hand and they slowly make their way out of the hospital.

——

"So, what was that about?" Jane asks me as we walk out the hospital doors. Are hands are intertwined. I look at her quizzically as my arm swings with hers.

"What?" I stop to face her. Her big brown eyes remind me of Will. I haven't spoke to him in awhile.

"Sleeping with 012."

"I was tired," I say. I'm not quite sure what Jane is asking. I was tired and upset. Why is taking a nap with a friend odd?

"(Y/N)," she takes my other hand. "Do you like 012?"

"Of course I like him. He is my friend."

"I meant if you liked him as more than a friend." What does she mean by 'more than a friend?' Is there anything closer than friendship?

"I'm not sure what you're asking. I like him as much as I like you."

"Well,"she sighs as if looking for the words. "How do you feel when you're around him?"

"I feel safe, and I want to keep him safe."

"Okay, but do you feel anything else. Like," she scrunches up her face. "I don't know how to explain it."

"I'm sorry. I don't know much about personal relationships," I look down at my feet.

"No, you don't have to be sorry. It's not your fault," she let's go of my hands and takes hold of my shoulders.

We stand there for awhile. I relish in the comfort she brings me. Suddenly a light breeze blows my hair aside.

"Do you ever feel like your stomach is buzzing and your hands shake when you're around him? Does your face go hot?" Jane asks.

"No."

"Well, have you ever felt those things before? Maybe you work differently than me."

"I guess I've felt something similar to that before."

"With 012?"

"No."

"Are you really not going to tell me?" She tugs me a little closer to her. My hair goes across my face. I can slowly feel my face go red as I think of him.

"Well, I kind of feel that way around Will."

-geekywriter15