Chapter 13

My hands shake as I reach out for him, afraid that he'll disappear as soon as I get close. His shaggy black hair is a rats nest, caked with blood. His skin is a gruesome grey and he's so thin it seems like he might blow away.

I take a slow step, searching for his eyes under the mess. One more step and I'll reach him. Will is quite, I almost forgot about him. I take a quick look back to see he's terrified.

When I turn back around I see 012's eyes are bloodshot and wild, no wonder Will's scarred, I would be too. Finally, after what seems like forever I touch 012's cheek with my hand. He doesn't disappear.

I feel like I might cry when I throw myself into his arms. He gently puts his hands around my waist as I wrap my own around his neck. Damn, he smells awful. Like blood and decay and death, but also with a faint scent of cinnamon which keeps me from throwing up.

I can feel the tears start rolling down my cheeks, no doubt washing off the grime on my face. I pull away, reluctantly, to find his face twisted into a faint smile. I smile back, but I'm interpreted by a cough.

I turn to find Will's eyes wide. He looks even worse than when we first got here. We really need to find a way out.

"Who is he?" He asks in a small and fragile voice that makes me want to hug him. I straighten my back and grab 012's hand.

"Will, this is 012. 012, this is Will," I start sweating even though it's freezing here. "Now that we've got that straight, we really need to leave. Will, how did you get out of the Upside Down when you were first here?"

——

I'm still holding 012's hand after hours of pointless roaming. Will says he knows where he's going, but I highly doubt that. To bad we can't stop for directions.

012 slows down and leans into me. I can tell he's becoming worse. Dark bags are under his eyes and his skin is sickly pale. I just want to get him out. Who knows how long he's been in here. I let him lean on me as we continue our way through the dense goo.

Suddenly. Will stops. I almost run into him, causing 012 to stagger. I keep a firm grip on his hand while Will turns to face us. I can see his frown become deeper at the sight of 012. I can't tell if it's because he doesn't trust him, or if he feels bad for him. Maybe both.

"I feel something here, do you?" He obviously has a hard time talking. But, now that he mentions it I have to agree, I do feel something weird. Almost like my insides are being pulled away from me.

"Ya, I feel something strange to," I say with effort. I hear 012 grunt beside me and I take that as agreement.

"What do you think it is?" Will asks. My head hurts and I feel as if I may pass out. The pulling becomes stronger and I can see that both of them feel it to.

"I'm not sure. All I know is that it is either good or really really bad."

——

Jane sits on the couch in Mike's basement. She hasn't talked since the incident. Mike feels useless. He has no idea what happened because Jane won't tell him. All he knows is that (Y/N) and Will haven't been seen for the last six hours.

He's worried about them, but also Jane. She hasn't eaten or moved for so long. She only blinks every few seconds. Mike has tried almost everything to get a reaction from her, even making her a stack of eggos. Nothing.

Mike sits next to her on the couch and grabs her hand. Yet again, she doesn't respond. Mike can feel the tears prick at his eyes.

"Please Jane, just say something," he turns to face her. All she does is blink. After several minutes he decides to hit her where it hurts. "011, please talk to me."

Finally her head turns. Her angry eyes stare back at him. He almost winces at the harsh look. She rips her hand out of his.

"What?" Jane's voice is layered in so many emotions. The anger that once filled her eyes starts to fade away as she looks at Mike. Tears start pouring down her face despite her attempts to stop them. "They're gone, Mike. They just vanished. I didn't do anything to stop it. I just stood there as they disappeared."

Mike shushes her as she curls into his chest. He strokes her hair and lightly kisses her forehead. "I don't know what happened, but I know it wasn't your fault."

-geekywriter15