Chapter 10

I stand up from the cold bedroom floor. Jane let me sleep at her house, insisting that I take her bed. I told her that I prefer sleeping on the floor. She didn't argue, but I know that she was skeptical about my answer.

I need a drink of water, so I quietly make my way down stairs, into the kitchen. Suddenly a chill comes over my body, and I hear a slight shuffle.

I turn to find myself in the Upside Down. My breath sticks to my throat. Another shuffle comes from my left. I back into the wall behind me.

The unearthly vines pulse around me. The house barely recognizable under the dark goo that covers the walls. A whimper escapes my lips as another shuffle comes my way.

I hate it here. Many bad memories flood my mind. All memories of when Papa sent me here. All I am is an experiment, that's all I'm worth.

The boy from my nightmare stands in front of me. I want to scream, but my body won't respond to my brain. He takes a step closer. I get a better look at him. Besides the goo and grime he is fairly attractive. His eyes stare into mine.

He looks almost helpless. My hand moves towards his face without my consent. But as my hand comes towards his right cheek he disappears.

My mind takes a minute to register my situation. I quickly make my way back upstairs and into Jane's room. There is no way I'm going to sleep tonight.

——

I grab my bag and head towards my locker. It has been three weeks since I tried to take Jane to Papa. Though Jane has forgiven me, her friends haven't. I don't blame them. I don't deserve forgiveness.

I see Jane with the boys. I try to avoid them as I make my way to art class, but Jane spots me.

"(Y/N)!" I quickly put a smile on my face.

"Jane, how are you?" I ask as I make my way to her locker.

"I was wondering if you are going to be busy after school today? The group is going to head out for ice cream," a small smile adorns her face, but I can't say the same for the boys in the group.

I nervously swallow as my hands shake uncontrollably. As I try to answer her, Mike steps in.

"I'm sure she's busy. We wouldn't want to take her away from her school work," I can see the hatred in his eyes. I feel like crying, but I put a brave face on for Jane.

"I'm sorry, Jane, but I have a big art project I need to work on this week. Maybe another time?" I quickly walk away and head to my art class.

——

"She's lying," Will speaks to the group. He knows for a fact that the next art project isn't due for another three weeks because he has the same art class as her. "She doesn't have an art project she needs to work on."

"What do you mean?" Jane asks him with a frown. "Why would she lie?"

"Isn't it obvious?" Will says in a monotone voice. "She was about to cry after Mike spoke to her. She feels bad, and unwanted. (Y/N) may not have gotten a good education when she was younger, but she's not dumb. Over her stay here, she has learned how to read people's emotions. She lied because she knows that the only one who wants her as a friend is Jane."

Jane's frown deepens at this knowledge.

"She hasn't done anything wrong. Why can't you guys see that?" She asks them with a judgmental tone. "I use to be like her. People can change. I'm going out with her tonight, and if any of you want to come, that's great."

She storms away from them in hope of making a point. Jane is astounded by Mike, and how he could be so cold. She honestly empathizes with (Y/N), and wishes she could do more.

On the other side of the school, Will makes his way to art class. He is contemplating wether or not to join Jane in her quest to make (Y/N) more comfortable. After learning about 010's experience in the Upside Down, Will has began to sympathize with her. He's not quite sure if he can trust her, but he is definitely intrigued by the girl.
-geekywriter15