Chapter 16

It has been several weeks since we left the Upside Down. I am still in the hospital, along with 012 and Will. Jane visits everyday, and Mike comes along as well. Even though he is only here for Will.

I haven't been able to see Will or 012 during my stay. I can only hope that their health is improving.

I'm supposed to be released from the hospital tomorrow. I will the day to go by faster, but as always, my wish does not come true. I sit up in my hospital bed and count as the seconds tick by.

It isn't until four that I get any visitors. Jane and Max come through the door. I give them a weak smile. We don't say anything for several minutes. We relish the silence that speaks thousands of words.

"Someone wants to see you," Jane tells me in a low voice. Her hand squeezes my own. I can't help but feel comforted by her touch. "Are you up for any other visitors?"

I think about her question for a while. Who would want to see me? Jane and Max are my only true friends, except for 012, but I see him as family.

"Sure," my voice comes out weak and fragile. I let my shaky hands fold in my lap.

"Okay," she squeezes my hand before standing up. Max follows her to the door. "We'll let you two speak alone."

It takes several minutes before I hear a knock at my door. It opens with a low creak. Will's small frame walks into the room. He takes the seat at my side. His gaze is focused on the floor. His eyes slowly travel up until they lock onto mine. It seems as if we stare at each other for years, yet it is only a few seconds.

"Hi," his voice is a whisper. Soft, but not weak. I'm mesmerized by the way he speaks, as if he is afraid that he may say something wrong. His brown hair falls into his eyes. It acts as a shield between us.

"Hi," I give him a tired smile. I almost jump out of my skin when he grabs my hand. He places his head on the side of my bed. Thankfully he doesn't see my face go red at the strange contact.

We sit in silence. I stare at the ceiling as I memorize the way his hand fits in mine. I can't imagine how uncomfortable it must be to hold my cold and rough hand. Yet, he doesn't let go. I can smell his faint scent as he shifts in his seat.

"How are you?" The noises of the hospital drown out as he speaks. All I can focus on is him. His dark eyes challenge me.

"I'm good. And you?" The questions are simple and meaningless, but they hold so much hidden value.

He still hasn't let go of my hand.

"(Y/N), I'm sorry," his voice cracks from the raw emotion. I can feel my heart stutter.

"No. You don't need to be sorry. I'm the one that should be apologizing," I interrupt him.

"But, you saved me."

"Jane and Mike saved us," I can't force much more out. So I only speak the truth. I only lead us to the demogorgan. I was no help at all.

"That's not..."

"Will," I interrupt him again. I look at him for several moments. "Can you forgive me. I really want you to forgive me."

I feel the tears start to crawl down my face. I try to hold them back, but to no avail. I let my head rest against the pillows. His face mirrors mine. Pain stricken with tears flowing freely down his slender cheeks.

"Of course I forgive you. After all you've done for me I think I'm the one that should be asking for forgiveness." I smile at his soft spoken words. I let my eyes close.

"Friends?" It is a simple question with overwhelming power. He stands, but before he leaves he places a quick kiss on my forehead.

"Friends."

He leaves the room slowly. I let our conversation play through my head. And I find a large smile on my face. Jane walks in for a few last words before visiting hour ends.

She shares stories about the last few weeks. About school and D&D. It's as if my troubles float away. I no longer worry about my relationship with Will, or 012's health. I stare into Jane's bright eyes and let myself get lost in her voice.

-geekywriter15