Chapter 5

My brain buzzes as I try to focus on the words escaping the teachers mouth. I don't understand a word he is saying. I contemplate banging my head against the desk to distract from the mental exhaustion this week has left me with.

The bell rings, and I let out a sigh of relief. I gather my supplies and stuff them into my backpack.

I haven't seen Jane in a few days, but I will be visiting her house today. She invited me over for a sleepover. The concept of it confuses me. Why would someone leave the comfort of their own home to stay in a completely foreign environment?

I exit the large doors of the school and make my way over to Jane. She is talking to a scruffy man and holding Mike's hand. Her other friends gather around them.

I slowly make my way over to them. A smile spreads across Jane's face at the sight of me, but I can't say the same for Will. I can't pinpoint the emotion the flashes across his face before he turns away.

Jane runs up to me and wraps her arms around me. I squirm in her grip before I reluctantly place my arms on her back.

After what seems like forever, she let's go and motions me into a large truck.

——

I step out of the car and observe the house in front of me. It is small, but cozy. The front door is painted blue and white bricks line the walls.

Jane grabs my hand and we walk inside. Her bedroom is on the second floor. It is a reasonable size with a blue and grey color scheme.

We sit on the floor after I deposit my supplies on the ground.

"The boys and Max should be here soon. What would you like to do until they arrive?" Jane cocks her head to the side.

"I'm not sure. I've never had a sleepover before. What do people do at sleepovers?" I ask.

"Well. Whenever Max stays over we usually watch a movie and talk. We also eat a lot of food. My personal favorite are Eggos."

"Eggos? What are Eggos?"

"You've never had Eggos!" She yells. Grabbing my hand she pries me off the ground and we head down stairs.

——

The toaster pops. I jump a little at the sound. Jane runs over and removes four Eggos. She hands two to me on a paper towel.

"Go on. Try it."

I grab the hot snack and bring it to my teeth. My mouth waters once the waffle hits my tongue. I sigh in contempt.

"This is amazing."

"Told you." Jane sits next to me as we finish the Eggos. A high pitched bell rings through me ears. Instinctively I jump in my seat. Jane laughs and skips to the front door.

The door swings open to reveal Mike and Will. They both stand awkwardly on the porch. Jane quickly grabs Mike's hand and drags him inside. Will follows closely behind.

Will is very shy, his social skills are almost as horrible as mine. He interests me. Though I'm not sure why, maybe it's because he seems to dislike me. My interest causes me to slip into his mind.

'Why does Jane trust her. She's bad news. Why doesn't anyone trust me?' A sharp pain shoots through my skull. I clench my teeth and stand up. My vision darkens for a few seconds.

I shake my head and smile at Will and Mike. Mike smiles back, but Will doesn't. My chest tightens.

The awkward silence is broken when the door bell rings, once again. I jump, an awful habit.

Max, Lucas, and Dustin stand outside. Max runs in and tackles Jane with her arms. She does the same to me. Why do people find the need to wrap their arms around another person? I'm personally not a fan of it.

When she finally lets go she starts rambling on about something. I tend to tune her out. It's not my job to listen to her stories.

This week hasn't been productive. Papa said sooner rather than later. I can't disappoint him.

I need to take a big step. Jane and Max are already on my good side. Now I need to get the boys to trust me, but how?
-geekywriter15