Chapter 25

Jackson drives the car down the backstreets of Ohio (idk guys, I forgot where the new lab was set in my story and I'm too lazy to find it, so...), the lab on the horizon. His breathing has still yet to return to normal, his half eaten sandwich moving around the back seat.

He makes his way to the lab parking lot, not mindful of good parking. Running up to the lab he sees Brenner, and he does not look happy.

"What the hell are you doing here, Mr. Donavan?" Brenner's cold voice sends shivers down Jackson's spine.

"010, she... she took Hunter. She's betrayed you." Jackson struggles to get the words out as he struggles to catch his breath. Brenner grabs him by the throat.

"What?" Brenner's teeth grit together as he glares. When Jackson doesn't respond he starts cutting off his airway. "I asked you a question."

"010 has switched sides," Jackson sputters out. Brenner, finally satisfied, pushes Jackson away, releasing his throat.

"That damn girl!" Brenner yells. "It seems I'll have to take things into my own hands. Do something productive Donavan and get me some coffee."

——

I'm surrounded by them. They buzz in my ears and run across my face in arcs. Thousands of them. Thousands. I let them crawl into my mouth, down my throat, around my stomach. Their legs burn my skin as they scurry along my body, sucking me dry. I've lost the ability to think or feel or hear or smell or taste anything but them. They consume every last inch of me.

They take my pain and my fears away with one simple sting. They consume my anxieties as if they are starved. They chew on my flesh, leaving me numb to everything around me. I let them devour me whole, scratching away at my imperfections. I wait, wait until I can no longer feel them, or hear or see or smell them. I can think, but only of them.

They start crawling back up my throat, marching out of my mouth and down my chin. One by one they take flight, flying away into the abyss. They leave behind only relief.

I slowly open my eyes.

He is sitting on the couch as lifeless as a statue. He blinks slowly. What have I done?

"What the hell just happened?" Dustin says from over my shoulder. Jane grabs my shoulders gently.

"We need to get him out of here." I state before grabbing the oblivious man by the armpits and attempting to lift him up.

"And just where are we going to take him?" Mike asks. Jane and Will thankfully help me lift the man off the couch.

"A hospital," Jane suggests. "After all, we could just say he is suffering from amnesia."

"None of you are worried about what Y/N can do? She just erased his whole entire life from his own brain." Mike flays his arms up in the air.

"I didn't mean too!"

"It's okay," Will assures me. The look he gives me automatically calms me down. "Jane is right, let's take him to the hospital."

——

We have just returned from the hospital where we dropped the man off. The silence in Mike's basement is stifling. I rub my hands together to release my building anxiety. No one says anything.

"We need to prepare." I break the silence. "Papa will come for me and Jane now that he knows I have been working against him."

They all share equal looks of confusion and fear. Jane grabs my hand, which has worked its way into my hair.

"What do we need to do?" Lucas asks. I look at all of them individually.

"We need to get weapons. Jane and I need to train our powers. We need medical supplies. But most importantly, we need more people. This is going to be full out war. I don't know what could happen."

We start off simply, searching Mike's house for any supplies that could help. We find things that they used in their fight against the Upside Down and his mothers first aid kit. It's a good start, but we will need much more before we can go up against Papa.

——

Steve sits in his car outside the Byers house. He hasn't spoken to Nancy or Jonathan in awhile, not since Nancy broke his heart. But they called with disturbing information and claimed they needed his help. So, here his is now, staring at the house trying to get enough courage to go inside.

Finally gathering himself, he exits his car and walks up to the front door. He knocks quietly and waits for someone to open the door. Nancy opens the door, grabs him by the sleeve, pulls him inside and quickly closes the door behind them.

"Steve's here!" Nancy yells out to who Steve assumes is Jonathan.

Jonathan comes running out of his bedroom with the old bat and nails in hand. He hands it off to Steve.

"What is going on here?" Steve asks the couple.

"The Upside Down has reopened, or maybe it was never even closed," Jonathan starts.

"All we know is a creature far larger and powerful than the Demagorgan has crossed over into our world and has been attacking us on and off for the past twelve hours," Nancy finishes.

Steve goes to reply but the flashing of the lights overhead interrupts him.

"This is some fucked up case of deja vu," Steve whispers while bringing the bat up in preparation to swing.

——

Hopper took a look around the decaying forest before meeting eyes with Joyce. The woods had been attacked by the Upside Down. The trees were dying and covered in the strange goo which characterized the Upside Down. Not only that, but it had an awful smell and a tiring effect.

"I thought Jane closed the door to the Upside Down," Joyce says. She took her own look around the putrid landscape.

"She did," Hopper insists.

"Then what is this?"

"I don't know."

-geekywriter15