Chapter 11

I sit down in art, my favorite class, and take my sketchbook out of my (f/c) backpack. I open it up and start sketching the concept for the latest art project.

The bell rings and I feel someone sit next to me. I ignore the urge to look up at the person, putting all my attention into my sketch. But that is quickly ruined when I feel a tap on my shoulder.

I turn to see Will with a smile on his face. My confusion gets the best of me and I stare at his big brown eyes for a few seconds.

"Do you have a pencil I could borrow?" He asks. I quickly grab an extra pencil and hand it to him. I then return to my drawing. "Thank you."

He turns away from me and starts on his own concept design.

Could this class get any more awkward?

——

It's the end of the day. I'm supposed to go out with Jane. I don't want to, but I also don't want to let her down. I guess I better go. I head for the door in search for the dark-haired girl.

As I open the door, the world melts away. It turns dark and damp. Vines start to cover the walls. And particles float in the air.

My breath becomes fast and tears threaten to spill. I hear many noises, but one sticks out. Breathing. Heavy breathing from behind me.

I turn to find the boy. I can't help but feel scared and sorry. My hand reaches out without my brains permission.

"I can... I can help you," my voice shakes uncontrollably. I start to think he can't hear me before he moves closer to me. I fight the urge to step back as he steps forward.

"You can get me out of here?" His voice is raspy and helpless. I can feel the tears start to pour. He's just like I was.

"I'm not sure how, but I'll get you out of here. I promise. I need to leave now, but I'll come talk to you later. Okay?" He reaches for my hand. Before he can reach my fingers I'm pulled back into the real world. I dry the tears in my eyes and resume my search for Jane.

I find her sitting on the swings with Will. Odd, I wonder why he's here. I walk up to them.

"(Y/N), what took you so long? Wait, were you crying?" She quickly realizes my bloodshot eyes. I try to blink them away to no avail. "Are you okay?"

"I'm fine. It's just— allergies," it takes me a few seconds to remember the word. I don't think she's convinced.

"Okay, well, let's get going," she grabs my hand and pulls me along. Will follows close behind.

——

The walk to the ice cream shop was as awkward as it could get. We are now sat at a table with ice cream in hand. I eat my (f/i) ice cream.

"So, why did you invite me out?" I ask to break the silence.

"I just wanted to hang out. I don't care what the others think. I know you're not a bad person."

I look down with a small smile on my face. I quickly cover it up.

"What about Will. Why is he here?" I ask. To be honest, I am still confused about his stand on this situation. I thought he hated me.

"I'm not quite sure yet," he replies. I look up to meet his eyes. I just now realized how beautiful his eyes are. I look back down at the table. "Have you had anymore episodes. You know, of the Upside Down?"

"No," my voice shakes. I hide my face with my hands. It suddenly goes quiet, like the whole world has stopped.

I look up to find myself in the Upside Down. Usually I would be scared, but the boy from before is by my side.

"You're back," he says as he turns towards me. I smile.

"I am. I need to know a few things to help you," I get to the point as quickly as possible. I don't have much time. "What's your name."

"I'm 012. I'm not sure what my real name is."

"Okay. How did you get here 012?"

"Papa put me here. He wanted to test me, but then the door closed. He wasn't able to get me out."

"I'm sorry. I promise I'll try to find a way to get you out. If I have a connection here, that must mean there's another door."

"Thank you," he goes to hug me, but then he fades away.
-geekywriter15