Chapter 14

We slowly make our way to the school building. I'm having trouble breathing, but I still have to hold 012 up. He is worse than he was an hour ago. We've been in the Upside Down for about four days.

Will isn't fairing much better. He can still walk on his own, but he looks like hell. His light brown hair is sticking up in all directions matted together with the other worldly goo. He stumbles every few seconds.

My short hair reeks as it falls in front of my nose, and my skin is several shades lighter than it usually is. Blood trickles down my nose from using my powers to help the boys.

My power isn't only for reading minds, I can control thoughts, but it takes a lot of effort. It's amazing what one idea can do. If I take away the thoughts of pain and weariness, and replace them with thoughts of strength. The mind is a crazy thing.

I can feel blood trickle out my ears as I send another wave of strength into their minds. We have to rest soon or I may not be able to walk on my own, let alone help 012.

I can see the school building in the distance. If I can make it just a little longer we'll be able to rest.

A rustle makes the three of us stop. Then a deep growl comes from our right. My hands shake, half from fear and half from the effort of holding 012 up.

A demogorgon slowly creeps out from behind a tree. It stands at least seven feet tall. Even though it doesn't have a face, it seems like it's looking straight at us. Its mouth opens to reveal rows of teeth. A scream rises up my throat, but I manage to hold it back. Suddenly he starts running at us. All I can think to do is send one thought into the others heads: run.

——

Jane paces the floor of Hawkins Lab. Her best guess to where an opening would be is at the mysterious place where it all started. Her footsteps echo down the halls, and tears stain her face.

Mike leans against a wall fighting the urge to comfort her. He doesn't want to bother her, but seeing her so upset makes his heart break. Tapping his foot gently on the ground he tries to think of something else.

Jane still hadn't fully explained what happened that day. All she said is that (Y/N) was acting weird, and then both her and Will disappeared. Maybe that was the whole story, but Mike felt like Jane wasn't telling his something.

A sudden gasp interrupts his thoughts. Jane stares at him with hopeful eyes. She then runs down the hall. Mike tries to keep up with her. She slams a door open, grabs something from inside the room and runs back out.

In her hand she holds an axe. Mike stares at it in confusion. The large smile on Jane's face is sort of deranged. He thinks she might be going crazy.

"What's that for, El?" He rarely uses that name, as it triggers Jane's PTSD. He gently sets his hand on the axe.

"I can get them back, Mike. I know I can," she pulls the axe out of his grip and starts running again.

"Seriously with the running again?" He mumbles to himself before chasing after her. When she finally stops they're at the end of a hallway. She aggressively hacks at the wall in front of her. Bringing the axe up and down, she looks like a mad woman.

Before Mike stops her he realizes something. On the other side of the wall is the Upside Down. He seems to lose the ability to breath as he stares into the gaping hole.

Jane and Mike stare into the darkness for several minutes. Mike turns to Jane and cups her face in his hands. Her gently kisses her on the lips, and then once on the forehead.

Jane grasps Mike's hand in her own. Squeezing her hand in recurrence, Mike starts walking into the Upside Down. He can already feel his body temperature drop and his lungs burn.

"Mike," he turns around to face his beautiful girlfriend. "If we don't get back within an hour, we'll be stuck in here. I won't be able to open up another door.

Though he is scarred, he smiles at her. He gently rests his forehead against hers.

"Then we better get going."

-geekywriter15