Chapter 3

"You remember what you need to do, right?" Papa asks me for the fourth time. I nod. He went over the plan multiple times. This girl must be very important to Papa.

I wondered why we moved out of Hawkins Lab, and why I started to receive lessons on school subjects. I understand now. Papa has been planning this for a long time.

"Goodbye. I'll see you once you finish your job," I step out of the car and close the door. The car speeds away. I follow it with my eyes until it disappears over a hilltop.

A sigh escapes my lips. I have no idea what I'm doing.

I turn and see a large building with the words Hawkins Middle School printed over the door.

I observe my surroundings until my eyes land on a group of teens. They appear to be around my age, and they're starring right at me.

There are six of them. One frog faced boy with messy black hair, a curly haired boy with a toothy smile, a dark skinned boy, and a small brown haired boy. Then two girls, one with long red hair, and the other with brown hair.

I quickly grab the picture out of my pocket. The last girl, she's the one Papa's looking for. She's 011. She's Jane. I smile and wave at them awkwardly, considering I haven't done it many times before. I walk over to them.

"Hello. I'm—" I pause, trying to remember the name Papa told me to use. "I'm (Y/N)."

"Hello, (Y/N). I'm Max," the girl with crazy red hair and a skateboard says. "This is Mike, Dustin, Lucas, Will, and Jane."

"It's nice to meet you," we stand there awkwardly for a few seconds. I can already tell I won't have an easy time conversing with other people. "I should get going."

"Wait," I hear someone say. I turn to see it was Jane who spoke. "Would you like me to show you around?"

"That would be great."

Jane walks down the halls and points out the classrooms. I tried listening, but I got bored halfway through.

I decide to have some fun. I reach into the mind of a boy across the hall.

'Just go talk to her. If she rejects you then she rejects you,' I stare across the hall, confused. I flick my hand. He runs over to a blonde girl and asks her a question, which makes her blush.

A bit of blood drips out of my nose.

"Oh no," Jane spins around. Her eyes go wide when she sees my face. "I seem to have a bloody nose. Is there, uh, a bathroom?

"It's just over there," Jane points to a door with a big female outline on it.

"Thanks."

What's wrong with me? I only get a bloody nose when I strain myself. All I did was read a mind and make him act on his impulses. I have to be careful. Papa said that I have to keep my powers hidden.

I hear a bell go off from outside the bathroom. I jump from the loud sound. I hear the door open and flip around.

"What was that?" I ask Jane.

"It's the bell. It means that we need to get to class. Didn't they have that at your old school?"

"No. They didn't," I reply as we walk out of the bathroom.

"We have the same class for first period, so I'll show you the way."

——

I walk down the crowded halls to the front door. People bump into me every few seconds, I hate it.

I finally reach the door and push my way through. I take a deep breath of fresh air. The parking lot is covered with strange cars. I didn't know there where other cars besides vans and black small ones.

I start walking down the sidewalk, staring at my feet. I hear voices behind me. I recognize one as Jane and the other as Max. The other ones must be their friends.

"Hey, (Y/N)," I turn and face Jane.

"Hello," I rock back and forth on my heels.

The four boys from before are behind her. I look at the smaller boy with light brown hair. He's looking at me weirdly.

"Would you like to come over to Mike's house? You can keep me and Max company while the boys play Dungeons and Dragons."

"Uh, what's that?" I cock my head to the side.

"It's a board game," I grow more confused.

"Okay. I guess I can come."

"Don't you need to ask your parents?" The dark skinned boy, Lucas, asks.

"Parents?"

-geekywriter15