Chapter 27

We all met at the old lab. The last time I was here was when Will, 012 and I escaped for the Upside Down with Mike and Jane. It feels like it was so long ago, even though it wasn't. So much has changed since then, not only in myself but the world around me. If everything goes right today we'll be able to close the door to the Upside Down once and for all.

Everyone was setting up their supplies and planning a course of action. I sat on the side lines, wondering about the logistics of everything. Was it truly possible to severe this world connection to the Upside Down? I guess there was only one way to find out.

"(Y/N)?" I looked up to find Jane. Her worry was evident by the crease in her forehead. The two of us would need to work together to close the door to the Upside Down. How? I wasn't exactly sure.

"Yes?"

"Are you ready? Hopper is going to take us down to the opening in the basement in a few minutes." Was it really going to happen so soon? I stood up and dusted off my pants, nodding my head to answer her question.

Suddenly the earth started shaking, making our supplies tumble around everywhere. The lights flashed erratically, at least the ones that were still functioning. A loud whirring noise pierced the air. I knew this all seemed to easy to be true.

Suddenly the wall to my right crumbled as a hideous creature bare lord through it. It was a large mass of teeth and skin. Standing well over ten feet tall. It could only be from the Upside Down. I had never seen something like it despite my multiple encounters with the parallel universe. I was frozen in fear.

That's when everything started to blur. People were shouting and running around. Bullets whizzed through the air and Fire seemed to mix with the water from broken pipes. Throughout all of it I couldn't move, but I was no longer frozen in fear. Instead I felt a wave of calm wash over me, bathing me in strength. I knew I would have to save my strength to close the opening, but what if I could help now, as everyone was struggling to hold their own against this terrible monster? So I reached into its mind.

Everything was dark. No light or sound, only bitter cold and an ominous feeling. I moved forward at a steady pace, but when I still hadn't seen anything I started running, looking for any sign.

Suddenly the floor gives way underneath me and I fall. The screams are caught in my throat. I fall and fall and fall with no end to the darkness. As hard as I try I can't leave the monsters mind. It feels as if hours have passed before I give up and simply let myself fall, the wind rustling my hair and clothing. The darkness taking over my soul.

Then I realize something. It's empty. There is nothing here. Nothing is more vulnerable to my powers than a mind with nothing.

I start imprinting one idea into the things mind: stop. I repeat it over and over again in my head, trying with all my might to say it allowed. I forget about the urgency of the situation and take a breath.

"Stop," I whisper hoarsely, barely able to get the words out. I come to a halt, suspended in the air. I am lowered slowly to the ground, and I awake.

When I open my eyes I am met with complete carnage. Mike, Dustin and Jonathan are all bleeding out. The rest of them have small injuries. The room is destroyed. Yet everything is still. The monster turns and scampers away as if a dog with a tail between its legs.

I fall to the ground.

——

Brenner sits in the back of a sleek black car, making the journey from Ohio to Indiana. It was a long journey, but one he needed to make sooner than he expected. 010 had turned against him. She turned out just as 011. He thought he could trust her. She lied to him. And she knew damn well what happened when someone lied.

He clenched his fist, nails digging into his palm. He was lucky that he didn't draw blood.

Despite is bad mood he still has a clear objective: retrieve 010 and 011, get 011 to erase 011's memories, kill 010, and destroy any evidence left behind in Hawkins Indiana. Retrieving 011 was about to get a lot more difficult.

——

I wake up on a small bed, Will sitting at my side. His eyes are closed and I would have assumed he was asleep if he hadn't sweared lightly under his breath.

"Will?" His eyes opened immediately, hand shooting to cradle my own. His look of worry made my stomach do tumbles.

"Thank God, are you okay?" He lightly squeezed my hand, which was warm in my smaller one.

"I think so," I said despite my sore throat. "Water?"

"Of course. I'll go get you some and tell the others you are awake. He got up quickly, heading for the door.

"Wait!" I called out, sitting up in bed. He rushed back over to my side, inspecting my face for any sign of pain.

"What is it?" He looked so sweet with is large brown eyes. Why did I feel this way when he was around?

"I need to tell you something," I tried to say, but I lost my voice half way through. Tried as I may I could no longer speak.

"You need?" He asked, worried. "Water? I'll go get it along with everyone else. I'll be right back. Okay?"

I nodded my head, dejected that I lost my voice during that exact moment. Then Will left through the door.

-geekywriter15