Chapter 21

A light reflects off the surface of the murky lake water and shows a distorted image of myself. My skin has finally returned to its usual state, still a sickly color, but it's not unusual. The reflection shows the wisps of my (dark/light) hair as it travels towards the water, as if being pulled by some imaginary force. Though the actual force is not imaginary but scientific. But I find gravity less interesting than the idea of a powerful being pulling my hair until I fall into the dirty water and drown, kicking my feet in the air while my lungs burn and contract.

I hear the foot steps. They crush the damp grass with mud coating the dress shoes that he always wears. His shadow hovers over me, claiming me as his own, and his eyes reflect behind my shoulder as I continue to stare at myself in the water. He lightly placed his ruff hand on my slender shoulder, pulling me back to reality.

I stand, one foot splashing in the lake. I feel the mud drying on my exposed knees, cracking alone the texture of my skin. As I turn the mud in between my toes squishes and flows across my foot. I stare up at the man I have known all my life. Worry lines stretch across his scowling face.

"010, it is good to see you," Papa's voice is hoarse, but still strong. He stares down his nose at me, his eyes pointed and distrusting. He doesn't know. He doesn't know that I've betrayed him.

I lean my body towards him and wrap my arms around his middle. I feel his hands lay heavily upon my back. I let myself breath in his clean sent. Pulling back a put a serious look on my face.

"I'm getting closer Papa," my voice wavers. No. I have to keep the act up to keep Jane safe. "011 trusts me. If you give me until the end of the year I will be able to bring her back without any fuss."

His large eyes stare down at me. A small smile graces his face, a smile I haven't witnessed in a long time. "You are doing great 010. I would have wished to have her sooner, but I know how stubborn she can be."

"Yes, it took me quite long to earn her trust."

"Does she know of your powers? Does she know that you are like her?" Based on his expression I can't tell what answer he wants me to give. If I tell him no he may want me to tell her in order to gain trust, but if I tell him that I told her then he might punish me for exposing myself so early.

"Of course not," I settle on lying. It's what I think he want to hear.

"Good, good," he replies as he starts walking down the shore with a hand on my shoulder. His black shoes dig into the ground, sand dusting the smooth leather. Suddenly his grey stop walking. I turn to face him.

"I think this is enough for one visit. You should get back to your mission. I will give you until the end of the school year. Let's hope you are able to accomplish this," he takes off in the direction we came. That conversation was odd.

——

I dash from the beach with my shoes in my hands. My feet bit into the rocks covering the paved street as I b-line for Jane's house. The wind rushing past my face is chilling against my damp legs. Winter is still grasping on to as much time as it can as Spring fights it off. I find it infuriating that there is still a chill in the air.

I make it to the front door and ring the door bell several times. My chests heaves as I take in air. The door is slowly pried open by Hopper. He looks me up and down. I must be a strange sight. The legs of my pants damp, my hair I brushed and snarled, soaked shoes in my left hand, mud traveling up my feet and arms and my breath heavy from running.

"Is Jane here?" I ask as sweetly as possible. He looks me in the eyes and contemplates it for a moment.

"No," is his slow reply. "Are you okay? You look... tired."

I guess the reply isn't to off. I'm tired from running with my bare feet and tired from not using my powers and I'm tired because I haven't slept in the past three days.

"I'm fine," I say in a rush. I need to find Jane. "Where's Jane? I really need to talk to her."

I bounce on the balls of my feet as I wait for an answer.

"She's at Mike's. Are you sure you're okay? You look like you're on... candy. Like you've eaten to much candy. Yep. Candy." I stare up into his eyes. I'm not that dumb. I know what drugs are.

"I'm just great. Thank you Chief Hopper." I run off in the direction of Mike's house. Of course she would be at Mike's. It's noon on Saturday. Where else would she be?

I make it to Mike's house without any trouble. I knock on the door. It opens to reveal Mrs. Wheeler. He dress is slightly askew and her lipstick is smeared to the left. I see a strange teenage boy behind her with long, oily hair and a cigarette.

"Is Jane here? I mean Mike. Is Mike here with Jane? That's what I meant."

She stares down at me. I guess it must be an adult thing to look down at teenagers with a sense of superiority.

"Yes, they are downstairs," she steps aside to let me in. I skip through the door way and place my mud stained shoes next to the rug.

I shoot her a quick 'thank you' as I make my way down to the basement. I'm met by The whole gang. (Jane, Mike, Will, Dustin, Lucas and Max.) They all stare at me as I rush down the stairs.

"What are you guys doing? Never mind, I need to speak to you, Jane."

"About what?" Her voice is a little sharp. "Is it about how you've used me?"

"Uh... no," I puzzle. "Papa came to see me today."

"I know."

"You do? How? Is that why you're acting weird?" Questions fly out of my mouth at top speed.

"Because Dustin saw you down at the beach hugging him and talking about how you've earned my trust."

"No, no, no. You don't understand," I put my hands to my face and dance around in a circle before facing her again. "If I didn't convince Papa that I was still on his side he would kill me and everyone you love until he gets to you. I'm not actually on his side."

"Oh," Jane's eyes light up again, and she starts sitting up. Mike grabs her arm gently.

"She could still be lying."

"What do I have to do to make you guys trust me? Again."

"I trust her. (Y/N) has given us no reason to doubt that she's on our side," Will's soft voice echos from the far end of the couch. His eyes meet mine with a small smile on his face.

"Yes, (Y/N) is one of my best friends. I trust her, Mike," Max says. She stands up and gives me a hug. I breath into her shoulder a sigh of relief.

"I don't know guys, but if Jane thinks she's okay, I do to." Mike let's go of Jane's arm. She stands and makes her way over to me. Max unwraps her arms from around me and Jane takes her place.

I know it's wrong but I reach into her mind for just a second. I want to know if she truly trusts me. We can't fight Papa at the end of the school year if she doesn't trust me.

'I hope I'm nit making a mistake.' Is all I hear before I let go. I sniff up the blood that is coming down my nose so no one can see it. Even if I have lost her trust, I will get it back.

——

012 slowly crawls out of the bed with the nurse's help. Making his way to the front desk a small women with plump cheeks and a blonde bob looks at his wispy appearance.

"Hello, your parents need to come sign these in order for you to leave," she passes him a large stack of paper. Taking a seat at the far end of the room he skins through the papers.

He doesn't have parents or money. The hospital doesn't know who he is or why he's hear. Best solution would be to leave as soon as possible.

Scanning his surroundings, 012 stands from his chair. Making his way past the front desk he opens the front doors and rushes out of the hospital.

The only problem is, 012 has no idea where 010 is or how to find her.

-geekywriter15