Chapter 12

"(Y/N)," Jane's voice shakes. (Y/N)'s (e/c) eyes glaze over. She seems different than the last time she had an episode. This time she isn't scared. Her eyes suddenly go wide and her breath becomes quick.

"Dammit!" She yells, causing people in the shop to stare. Will tries to look away from her short (h/c) hair, which has grown since she first arrived. He ends up staring into her frustrated eyes. Her gaze softens as she looks into his eyes.

Her (s/c) cheeks goes red at the sight of people looking at her. She quickly looks towards her lap, but Will has a hard time looking away from her as Jane speaks up.

"Are you okay. Did you have another episode," Jane goes to the other side of the table and rubs (Y/N)'s back. Her breath is uneven as she tries to form a response.

"I'm fine," she says, but she doesn't sound anywhere close to that. "I should have tried harder to stay."

Will didn't here her mumble, but Jane defiantly did. She stood up quickly.

"What did you just say?" She doesn't sound mad, only confused. (Y/N) looks up at her.

"I need to speak to you. In private."

"Whatever you need to say to her, you can say to me," Will says from his quit corner. (Y/N) looks towards him. All of the sudden pain ruptures through both of their heads.

As they both grab their heads a bright white light engulfs them. Jane's screams are muffled, and, suddenly, everything goes black.

——

I try to ignore my pounding head as I pry my eyes open. I'm meet with a dark sky and white speckles floating in the air. I know where I am, the Upside Down, but this isn't an episode. This is real. I can feel the cold slime all along my back, and the dirty air infecting my lungs.

I try to sit up, and after a minute of effort I'm finally on my feet. I look around, but nothing is familiar, except for Will. He is asleep on the ground. His light hair is plastered in goo and his skin is unnaturally white. I wonder how hard it must be for someone who isn't superhuman to be in the Upside Down.

Will stirs from his slumber. I watch until his brown eyes flicker open. I can see the surprise and fear flash across his face. I want to calm him, but I know it would be wrong to go into his mind without his permission.

"Are you okay," I say in a small voice that cracks at the end. I can feel the raspiness of my throat fight against the unhealthy air I'm breathing in. He looks towards me and calms down.

I grab his hand and help him to his feet. We steady each other from falling. We are both weak. How long had we been asleep?

"I'm okay, but we need to find a way out of here," he grabs my hand as we start to walk north, at least I think it's north. I feel a chill run up my spine.

After what feels like an hour of walking I see something familiar. My house, well, the place I've been staying at. I won't call the foreclosed house my home, but it did provide a bed and shower. I squeeze Will's hand as I trace the familiar path up to the door.

Reluctantly I let go of Will's hand and turn the door knob. The door squeaks as I open it. The usual messy surroundings are even worse here. It's covered in pulsing vines and black goo. I try not to gag at the horrible smell. It's a mix of blood and urine. I really don't want to know why.

As I make my way deeper into the house I hear something move. I instinctively grab Will's arm as I turn and hide my face in his chest. He is only a few inches taller than me.

I hear foot steps from the living room. My fear seems to skip away. It might be 012. Slowly I pry myself off of Will. My throat is sticky and I can barely speak out of my cotton mouth.

"012, are you there?" I seem to ask to no one and nothing. I see a dark shape poke it's head around the corner. 012 comes out looking worse than I've ever seen him before.

-geekywriter15