Chapter 1: First Day

The first day of another year of hell. What I call high school. I used to love school, and who wouldn't when you've got your best friends on your side. So, why do I hate high school? They abandoned me. People always do. I don't have anyone. Ignore my self-pity, but this year is going to be different. No more Miss. Nice guy. Guy? Girl? What I mean is, I'm bringing out the big guns. Metaphorical big guns. Meet attitude and sarcasm!

"Rose, hey Rose! I'm talking to you!"

I glare at my so-called best friend, "What do you want Melanie?" I have to admit, she's beautiful. She has long black hair that falls down her back and emerald green eyes. Everyone believes she is the nice one. I know the real truth. After so many years of verbal abuse, I definitely know.

"Someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed, damn! Are you going to the Alpha's birthday party today? He's finding his mate! He's got everyone here panting for him, and his mate would be Luna. I want to be Luna! People will have no choice but to love me!" Her eyes are so wide open, I can't help but wonder if it's excitement or if she just witnessed a murder. Melanie is a people-pleaser to be completely honest and manipulates everyone here. I'm done.

"Melanie, could you take your screeching voice and talk to someone who actually cares? I couldn't give a crap about the Alpha's party so leave me alone? Got it?" I may be short, but I've got some sweet moves. Boot camp has to help me somehow right?

"What, you think a summer at boot camp is going to help you get the Alpha?" She laughs and glares at me. "You're the shortest, plainest werewolf I've ever seen! You want to cross me, I will get you," and before I can say another word, she's gone. Hey, it seems like she's running away. I didn't even have to do anything! I slam my locker and just stand in the middle of the hallway.

Now might be a good time to mention that I'm a werewolf. Our pack is the Timber pack. You know, gray wolves are called timber wolves? Everyone is a gray wolf in my pack. Everyone shifts at the age of twelve and we meet our mate when the girls turn sixteen and the guys turn eighteen. The Alpha's son took over last year and he turns eighteen tomorrow. He is the most irritable playboy in the history of this world, the universe. I despise him. We used to be friends but not anymore. I feel sorry for his mate, who knows if he has it in him to commit? They all think I'm this weak, nice girl who will take all of their crap and insults, just because I want friends since I don't have a wolf. I know I don't get the worst, even though I'm the weakest but I've been hearing rumours that this year is when they get me... Well, screw that! I'm going to be an independent female. Starting now.

"Hey, beautiful," a deep voice whispers. "What are you doing?" Someone's head lands on mine as they pull me into a hug so tight that I can feel every part. EVERY part! That smell is so addictive, but I have no idea why. I break out of it when I feel hands try to wriggle under my shirt.

I look up and I steel myself. He double takes, "Rose?"

"Alpha. What the hell are you doing?"