Chapter 31: His End

Cole's POV

Standing outside my office, I try to give myself a pep talk before I enter. I know Rose is mad at me but I need her forgiveness. I can smell her sweet, tangy scent filling the air and steeling my nerves, I grab the cold door knob ready to get on my knees and beg for forgiveness. Yet, I don't see Rose there, but a puddle of blood. Her blood. It spills across my floor, inches away from the very couch that we had been on only a few hours ago. Together. But she's not here, is she? My mate! 

Snapping out of my shock, I howl, sending an alert to all the pack enforcers and through the mind link, I can feel all the warriors rushing back to the pack house. How did this happen? How did I not know? Shit, I should have marked her when I had the chance. Now, I have no idea where she is. I know that Eric has her, but he's gone rogue. Who knows what he'll do. He has no humanity left in him. I can't leave the pack unmonitored either, everyone needs to be safe. Pacing back and forth vigorously, I bark orders as warriors rush in assigning them jobs.

"Find her! Do whatever you have to do, I want all the warriors except for ten to follow me into the woods. We are going to find my mate." Looking out the window, I whisper a few words, hoping Rose will hear through the mate bond. "I'm coming for you sweetheart."

Rose's POV (**POSSIBLE TRIGGER WARNING** - Unwanted touch is always a sexual transgression, no means no!)

"I'm coming for you sweetheart."

Shaking my head, I wake up, trying to decipher where I am. It's so cold, damp, and gross. The last thing I remember is pain and red... and Eric? Where is he though? I don't see him. Did he just leave me tied up in a cave? He must be pretty dumb, because I can get out of here easy. I have my wolf now. Breaking through the ropes, I stand up, trying to adjust to the harsh, dark lighting of the cave when the devil suddenly pounces on me.

Eric. Of course. Trying to push him off me, I growl as I feel my wolf come out. My claws come out as I try to swipe them across his neck. Unfortunately, just because I have my wolf doesn't mean I'm stronger. I've never been trained with my wolf while he's had to go through rigorous alpha training to become the horrible, evil man he is today. Gasping, I feel a needle pierce my upper arm. Groaning, I laugh in his face as I try to shrug it off.

"Do you think some wolfsbane can stop me? I'm stronger than you think." Grinning, his face seems to contort as his eyes dilate. He's taken control off his wolf, so he doesn't see me as a mate he has to protect anymore. Laughing maliciously, he grabs my upper arms, dragging me as my wolf violently tries to fight the drugs in our system.

"You underestimate me, dear mate!" He spits out with anger as he cackles. Why does he get better looking by the second? What's wrong with me! I have a mate, and Eric is pond scum. "I never gave you wolfsbane or silver, I know you can stand that now, but what I gave you is a few extra hormones to bring your heat in a bit earlier. If I take you now, you'll be mine and you'll have no choice but to be with me! Your mate will never make it here on time."

Trying to push him off, I shriek, screaming, "No, no, no!" He has to get off. I don't want him, but I'm so weak. I never thought anything but wolfsbane and silver would affect a werewolf so much, but I forgot about heat. I need my mate, not him. This feels so wrong, so wrong. As he whips his shirt off, I scream.

"Cole! Help! Mate..." His lips sloppily place over mine as his fangs bite into my skin. The taste of blood and bitterness fill my mouth, making me wretch as I simultaneously try to push him away.

Cole's POV

We've been following her scent for over an hour, despite the mind links I've gotten from the pack about the officials coming out to help. I don't have the time to deal with the werewolf officials, my priority is my mate. Running, Brayden takes over, chasing her scent through the air. Pausing, he shudders.

"Mate's in heat! We have to get to her faster!" Pushing faster, I race ahead, realizing how close we are. I need to save her from that bastard. I let Brayden lead knowing my warriors are behind me, and they'll save Rose if anything happens to me. Rose, she's there! In that cave, I can smell her. Zooming in, I growl at the sight, shifting. He's on top of her, kissing her, she's mine! Pulling him up, I throw him out of the cave, jumping on top of him and punching him.

He props himself up using the tree, smirking. "I've got to see, Alpha, I can understand why we're fighting over. She's a delicious piece of meat, isn't she? I can't wait to make her mine, after I kill you."

I launch myself at him, my claws ready to strike when I feel a kick to my stomach. As I fall with his foot pressing down on my throat, he hovers over me, spinning something in his hand. Wincing, I squint my eyes as the object glints in the sunrise before slowing down and facing me. Looking past the barrel into his eyes, I wonder if I'm staring at death. I know Rose is okay, the warriors linked me when they got to her. As long as she's okay, I'm not afraid of dying. I just wish I had been able to ask for her forgiveness at the end.

As a bang fills the air, I close my eyes, ready for death.