Twenty-Two

The next morning, Riku gets up and goes over to Yamanaka's Flower Shop branch in Kusa to get some flowers before heading to Ezra's house. He enters and sees the manager speaking with a tall pale guy with shoulder length hair. The man turns around and greets him.

"Oh. Hello there. Welcome to Yamanaka's. I'm Sai Yamanaka. VP of Advertising." Sai greets him.

Riku shakes his hand. "Oh wow. You're the Sai Yamanaka that we read about in Art. You're like the most popular artist in our era. They say your drawings look so realistic that it feels as if they're about to jump off the paper."

Sai chuckles, "I'm not that good. I appreciate the compliment. If I'm not mistaken, you're Liam Takari's son aren't you?" Riku nods. "That Liam. Your dad was a clown in college. But I can see that you take after him a lot. What are you here for today?"

"I'm just looking to pick up some roses before going to my girlfriend's house to surprise her."

"Smooth. But if you really want to score some winning points, here's what you do."

After talking to Sai, Riku bids him farewell. He goes over to the Takoiya household and knocks on the door. Mr Takoiya answers the door with a frown. "Takari. Why are you at my house at 10 o'clock in the morning?"

Riku looks at him seriously, "Well sir. I thought I'd surprise Ezra."

Isodora comes to the door. "Oh Riku. It's you. How are you today?"

"I'm fine Mrs Takoiya. How are you?" he responds politely.

"I'm great. Are those for my Izzy?" she asks pointing at the flowers in his hands.

Riku looks up, "Actually mam, these are for you. Last time I worked in the garden with Mr Takoiya I saw how you had your flowers arranged and organized. I also noticed you were missing lavender and white roses in your rose bud collection and stop by Yamanaka's to buy you some. Here you go." he says handing them to her. She squeals and thanks him and rushes off to the garden leaving to two males staring at her with sweatdrops. Escobar turns back to him. "Well played Takari. You've won my wife over. You may enter. he laughs letting Riku into the house." Riku laughs saying to him, "Didn't think I'd actually be able to win her over.."

/flashback/

Riku is sitting at the bar with Jai looking at Escobar as he shows them some of his old photos in the Kumogakure yearbook. Jai laughs when he sees an old picture of the Raikage, mayor of Kumo, and Escobar wearing speedos while preparing for a swimming match against Kirigakure. Escobar looks at Jai seriously, "Oh you think this is funny. Well, its nowhere near as funny as the look on your face is about to be once I reveal that I know ALL about my god daughter's hickey you gave her Mr Novani."

Jai's smile drops tremendously. He sweats nervously as Riku fights back a laugh. "I...c-can...e-e-e-e-explain." Escobar folds his arms and scowls at the young man. "Don't even try it."

Riku places his hand over his face to hide his laugh and hold it in. Jai cowers under Escobar's gaze. He then turns to Riku. "Mr Takari. Since you are going to be dating my daughter, I need to know a few things. Your likes. Your dislikes. Hobbies. Goals. Basically. Who are you?"

Riku folds his arms and looks Escobar right in the face. "I am the exact opposite of everything you think I am. For instance, you probably think I'm just a jock with relies on my atheletic abilities to get me into a good college. Wrong. I am a student athelete true enough, but I also take honor courses and had it not been for Keiri and my twin brother, Shouyu Takari, I'd probably graduate valedictorian with my current 4.2 GPA. I took both the SAT as well as the ACT. My ACT score was a 30, whereas my SAT score was 1408. As far as my hobbies, I, along with Jai, my brother and Zhang, sing and play a variety of instruments in my spare time. I love to play the violin and piano because I feel like I'm in another place. I also play basketball along with being on the football team. In my spare time, I help my god mother over at Ichiraku's because I rarely get to spend time with her or Pawpaw, which is a name my brother gave Mr Teuchi. Another thing, you probably think I'm a spoiled rich kid because of my father being a former major and also the third youngest entreprenuer in the country right? Well, Liam Takari is not my biological father sir. I don't even know who my real father is but it doesn't matter because my dad IS my dad. I wouldn't trade him in for anything. I was lied to about who my real father is because my mother was raped and saved by my dad. And that lie became the truth because Liam Takari IS my father. He always will be. What do I want from your daughter? I want to be more than just the love of her life. I want to someday be her provider. Her protector. Her very, best friend. I know I'm young but I know what I want. And even if I'm not who Ezra chooses to be with later in life, I will support all of her decisions and continue to be there for her as her friend."

Riku finishes speaking and gazes up at Escobar. Escobar smiles at him.

"You know, the last guy that spoke that passionately about a woman ended up marrying her, having a beautiful set of twins with her and became one of the most annoying friends I've ever had."

Riku looks at him in shock, "Wait...you mean...?"

Escobar nods, "Yes. Your dad. He and I met in college when I transferred schools. Your mother was evil incarnate but your father loved everything about her. I never knew that he wasn't your real father because he never mentioned it to any of us."

Riku's eyes water hearing how his father felt so deeply about his mother. "Even with every obstacle I've faced, there's still one I must overcome."

"Oh and what's that?"

"You're that obstacle sir. If I can't have your approval then I can't truly be with your daughter."

Jai looks wide eyed at Riku. 'He's serious. Man this is intense.'

Escobar chuckles, "It's not my approval you need to worry about son. My wife is the one who determines your fate. I'm pretty sure Ezra's the protector of the girls. Right?" The boys nod.

"She gets that from her mother. Impress her and you have my blessing. Fail and you and my Izzy can only be friends."

Riku nods and sweats, "This is going to be hell isn't it?"

Escobar chuckles and walks away.

/end of flashback/

Riku and Escobar sit in the living room and watch the highlights from Escobar's high school days. Riku studies Escobar's form when watching the Track & Field film. "How did you increase your speed so much from one week to the next?" Riku asks.

"Parachute son. You get used to the wind holding you back and your body adapts to the resistance resulting in faster movement."

"Hmm...do you by any chance still have your old parachute? I could use some extra training to improve my speed. We're playing Konoha this week for homecoming and this is like a huge rivalry game for us." Riku responds. Escobar smiles and nods, "Sure. Let me go check my trophy room. I should still have it in one of the storage bins."

After Escobar leaves, Riku remains on the couch watching some more of the film. 'Hmm...that technique is different from anything I've ever seen. I wonder if I can get him to teach it to me.' The front door opens breaking him out of his trance. In comes an unconscious Ezra being carried by none other than...

"Ireno Yakima?"