'The Mechanic Friend'

Jacobs Garage

Motorcycle parts are spread out on blankets. Jacob is moving among them excitedly, piecing them together. Bella watches. Athena leans against the couch, playing on Bella's phone.

"If we're going to be working on this everyday, we should probably include some homework. Don't want the Dads to think I'm a bad influence on you."

Jacob scoffs jokingly. "You influence me? Please."

"I am older than you." Bella gives a pointed look, keeping an eye on Athena from the corner of her eye.

Jacob shrugs. "Age ain't nothin' but a number."

"And I convinced you to secretly build us two-wheeled death machines, with my daughter with us."

Jacobs face suddenly shows mock-horror. "God, you're right, you're like Satan-" He is cut off by another voice.

"Yo, Jake, you in there?"

Athena looks up from the phone to Jacob with a smile. Bella abruptly sits up, starts to pull a tarp over the bikes.

Jacob chuckles. "It's cool, it's just my boys."

Two teenagers enter, both 16. Quil Ateara is short and feisty, with short hair. Embry Call is tall and laid back, with chin-length black hair.

"Hey, Jake-" They stop when they see Bella and Athena. The two guys share a smile.

"Hey. This is Bella. Bella, that's Quil and Embry. They already know Athena." Jacob introduces. Athena looks to them with a smile and a wave. They wave back.

"So the bike building story is true." Quil starts. Looking to them with a smirk.

"Taught him everything he knows." Bella jokes. Athena stands and walks over to Embry, not before giving Bella back her phone. When she gets to him, Embry picks hers up and gives her a hug.

"What about the part where you're his 'girlfriend?'"

Bella blushes at Quil's comment. "Oh, we're just friends."

"Ooh. Burn." Athena giggles.

Jacobs starts to scramble around. "I said she's a girl and a friend." Quil nudges Embry.

"Embry, you remember him making that distinction?" He shakes his head.

"Nope."

"So I guess you guys have girlfriends." Bella says back. Jacob laughs.

"Right. Quil took his cousin to prom." Embry and Athena chuckle, as well.

"Yeah, that's still a riot. You want funny, Black? I'll give you funny." Quil makes a run at him, he dodges. A playful scuffle ensues. Embry, amused, saunters over to Bella. Athena in his arms still.

"I got five bucks on Quil."

Bella smiles. "You're on." She faces Athena.

"You be a good girl and never fight likes those two. Got that?" Athena nods and salutes her Mum with a giggle.

"Ok Mamma."