Imprinting

"It's not like love at first sight, really. It's more like... gravity moves... suddenly. It's not the earth holding you here anymore, she does... You become whatever she needs you to be, whether that's a protector, or a lover, or a friend."

{_}{_}{_}{_}{_}{_}{_}{_}{_}{_}

Swan House

A couple of days ago, Matt, Jacob and Bella went to the movies while Athena stayed home with Charlie. Something happens that will suddenly change the Swan's life, Jacob starts to heat up and leaves the other two teenagers in confusion at the cinemas. Day after day, Bella calls him but doesn't get an answer, she starts to go back into her depression, worrying Athena.

{_}{_}{_}{_}{_}{_}{_}{_}{_}

Living Room

Bella does homework. Charlie watches a game. Athena plays with her toys. Bella's on edge. Anxious.

BEEP. "Hey Jake. Just checking to see how you're doing. And to say I'm sorry, about, you know... how I feel and... hope the flu passes fast. Call me."

{_}{_}{_}{_}{_}{_}{_}{_}{_}{_}

Forks High School
Parking Lot - Another Day

Bella climbs out of her truck, Athena is sleeping in her car seat. Bella sees the empty spot where Edward used to park. Sees Eric and Angela canoodling. Couples everywhere. She puts her head down, hurries to class.

BEEP. "Hi Jake. Your dad said you have mono. He won't let me visit but... would you call me?"

{_}{_}{_}{_}{_}{_}{_}{_}{_}{_}

Bella's Bedroom
Night

Bella paces her room, not wanting to sleep/dream. Athena watches her, a frown settled onto her face. Bella eyes the phone, waiting for it to ring.

BEEP. "Me again. I just... need to hear your voice..."

{_}{_}{_}{_}{_}{_}{_}{_}{_}{_}
Kitchen
Day

Bella's on the phone, leaving yet another message, her desperation having reached its peak. In the living room, Charlie and Harry check their fishing gear. Athena watches the two males in the room, intrigued with what they are doing.

"Jacob. Please. Call me." Bella hangs up, leans her forehead against the phone.

Charlie enters. "Harry and I will be back by three-" He stops when he sees her. He puts a hand on her shoulder. Athena wonders in, she looks at them, runs and wraps her small arms around Bella's legs, snuggling into them.

"It's mono, Bells."

Bella looks to him in confusion and desperation. "He's too sick to even call?"

Charlie sighs. "You just gotta wait it out." He pauses. "You know, I don't have to go fishing..."

Bella forces a smile. "No, go. I'll call Jess or just hang with Athena."