'Emily, The Imprint'

Outside Emily's House

Bella's truck, driven by Embry, pulls up to a tiny, weathered house with a window box full of marigolds. Jared, in the back still holding Athena, jumps out, opens Bella's door with his free hand. He, Embry and Athena head toward the house. Bella doesn't move.

Embry looks to Jared. "Pay up. She didn't puke." Jared, annoyed, hands Embry five bucks. Athena lets out a giggle, Jared smiles down at her.

"You think that was funny, I'll show you funny." He starts tickling her and she lets out a childish laugh, both Embry and Jared laugh along at this while Bella continues to stay still but her jealousy increasing.

Jared stops to let Athena calm down and Embry talks to Jared smugly. "Told you she was tough. She does run with bloodsuckers."

Bella finally snaps out of it and puts on a worried look. "Wait. We should go back, make sure Jacob's okay."

Jared scoffs and continues towards the house. "I hope Paul gets some teeth in him. Serve him right."

"No way. Jake's a natural. You see him phase on the fly? I gotta fiver says Paul doesn't touch him. And he only started getting angry because of Athena." Embry defends.

Jared shifts Athena on his hip, as the three year old looks around with wonder. "Easy money. Paul's been at it longer." Bella looks at them, appalled. They realize she's not following them.

Embry tries to make the atmosphere light, even if he isn't happy with her. "Come on in. We won't bite."

Jared walks up through the door while talking. "Speak for yourself." Bella warily climbs out of the car, joins them. Embry pauses at the door.

"Oh, hey, about Emily, Sam's fiance, just try not to stare. It bugs Sam."

Bella looks at Embry's back with genuine confusion. "Why would I stare?"

{_}{_}{_}{_}{_}{_}{_}{_}{_}{_}

Inside Emily's House

Bella hesitantly enters behind Jared and Embry. She sees Emily, 20, at a counter, popping fresh muffins out of a tin. Only seeing one side of Emily's beautiful face, draped by long black hair.

"You guys hungry? Like I have to ask..." Emily looks toward them now, revealing the other side of her face. A scar runs from hairline to chin, three red lines that pull down her eye and twist her mouth. Bella's face starts to twist into disgust but quickly pushes it away.

"Who's this?" As Jared and Embry beeline for the muffins, Athena looking to Emily with curiosity. Emily looks to Athena and let's a huge smile stretch her face. "And who is this little cutey right here" She says leaning down and poking Athena's tiny stomach making her release a giggle, and hide her face into Jared's side.

"Bella Swan. Who else?" Jared says coldly before adding warmth into his voice. "And this gorgeous one is Athena."

She reaches and lifts Athena from Jared, sitting her onto her hip. "Well, it's finally nice you cutey." Emily turns to Bella with a small smile. "So you're the vampire girl."

Bella gives her a tight smile. "And you're a... you're all..."

"Werewolves? I'm just engaged to one. But these animals --" Emily slaps Embry's hand away from the muffins with her free hand. "Save some for your brothers. And let the girls have one first." She places Athena onto Embry's lap, takes a muffin from the tray and gives it to Athena who takes it, and smiles brightly before taking a bite. Bella cautiously approaches the counter, keeping an eye on the door for Jacob. "Leave it to Jacob to get around Sam's gag order."

"He didn't say anything, or... couldn't."

Embry keeps hold of Athena in his lap while Jared makes funny faces at her. "That's a wolf thing. Alpha's orders get obeyed whether we want to or not --"

Jared cuts him off. "How 'bout you shut up now, Embry?"

"Someone's going to fill her in, I'm just doing it now."

Jared scoffs. "Oh, I know." Emily places a sippy cup of orange juice in front of Athena and smiles when Athena talks back quietly.

"Thank you."

Embry looks to Bella. "We have this wolf thing. Where we hear each other's thoughts. Good for hunting. Embarrassing for everything else." Jared leans to Bella, challenging.

"Freaking out yet?"

Bella meets his look with a small glare. "You're not the first... mind reader I've met."

Embry grins, bouncing his knee with Athena on it. "Jake's right. You are good with the weird."

"But I don't get -- how? Why? --"

"Because there are bad things here." She spins, Sam is now standing behind her, the front door open behind him. "And they're getting worse." Bella is chilled. Sam moves past her to Emily, the sight of her instantly warms his face.

"Hey, Em." He kisses Emily's scarred face adoringly. Bella has to look away. Their utter devotion is a painful reminder of what she has lost. Fortunately, she's distracted by Jacob and Paul's arrival. They laugh and jab one another. Bella is relieved to find Jacob unscathed. Emily quickly comes over and plucks Athena from Embry's grasp, she lets out a small squeal at this which makes a small, warm smile appear on Jacobs face when he hears her. Jared and Embry crowd them, finding a scar on Paul's arm.

"Ha! Pay up." As Jared reluctantly hands Embry five bucks. Jacob see's Athena wrapping her arms around Emily's neck in hug, Emily returning it and Sam smiling warmly at this. Athena turns her head and see's Jacob walking towards them, she let's go of Emily's neck and reaches for him.

"Jakey!"

Everyone laughs, except for Bella who stands gloomily away from them, Jacob pulls Athena into a hug and she hugs back enthusiastically. Jacob looks over Athena's head towards Bella's direction to see her glaring back, once she notices this she lets go of the glare and nods her head towards the door. He lets out a sigh and pulls away from Athena to meet her bright eyes.

"I'm going to go talk to Mummy, I'll be back. Okay?" Athena nods her head.

"Okay Jakey." She reaches back towards Emily who quickly snatches her back, Jacob looks to her one more time than heads towards the door Bella is already waiting out of.

{_}{_}{_}{_}{_}{_}{_}{_}{_}{_}

Disclaimer - I do not own Twilight but I do own Athena Swan so no Stealing or copying please