'Grounded'

Seattle (1 Year Ago)
Pike Place Market – Night

Rain falls in sheets, slapping the pavement. Bright lights from the bars around, reflected from the wet stones. The rock music 's dull thud wafts. A bar door opens– music blows out briefly as a young man leaves, he is Riley, 22, genial, handsome and a promising university student. He pauses under the awning to prepare for the rain. He slings a messenger bag loaded with heavy school texts over his shoulder and waves into the window where his friends are before he goes into the downpour.

{_}{_}{_}{_}{_}{_}{_}{_}{_}

Another Street

Dark and deserted. Riley makes his way up to it. A shadow suddenly flies past him and moves at an inhuman rate. Riley pauses. 'what was that?' Unnerved, he speeds his step around the corner, but suddenly something hits him back to the ground. It moves so fast and you're only able to see a brief Shadow, Riley panics now.

"Who's there?" No response is heard and Riley bolts in a different direction.

{_}{_}{_}{_}{_}{_}{_}{_}{_}

Another Street

Riley runs to the end of the street, where an apartment building with a brightly lit lobby and security guard is located. Safety.

{_}{_}{_}{_}{_}{_}{_}{_}{_}

Waterfront

Riley finds himself on the deserted boardwalk. Beyond the trail, black water. A dead end. He turns realising he's utterly alone. He's been herded here. He searches the darkness for whatever's chasing him.

"Who's there? What do you want?" The shadow darts past him and Riley yanks his hand back.

"OH GOD!" He grips his hand in pain, looks at it to find a crescent moon shape on his palm, blood seeping out. His confusion and terror turn to agony as the venom from the bite crawls up his arm. Riley drops to his knees crying out in pain. Then falls, writhing as the venom spreads throughout his body, changing him, killing his humanity. His tortured cries go unheard.

{_}{_}{_}{_}{_}{_}{_}{_}{_}{_}

Meadow (Present Day)
Day

Bella and Edward, lying in the grass. Bella reads aloud from a book of Robert Frost poetry. "I think I know enough of hate, To say that, for destruction, Ice, is also great. And would suffice." Edward teasingly pulls the book away, moves to kiss her. She stops him, annoyed but doesn't show it. "You know, I've got an English final. I gotta focus."

He grins, kisses her anyway. The sun briefly comes out from behind the clouds, causing Edward's skin to sparkle, making the kiss appear magical. He pulls away smiling.

"Marry me." She laughs sarcastically. It's not the first, nor the fiftieth time he's asked. This is clearly a game between them.

"No."

"Marry me."

"Change me" She gives him a hopeful look. He kisses her neck.

"Okay I will if you marry me, It's called a compromise."

Bella huffs, irritation bubbling in her. "It's just called coercion. It's not fair. Marriage is just... Is a piece of paper."

"Where I am from, it's the way one says, 'I love you'." She pushes him away, hiding her annoyance, and jumping up.

"Where I come from, at my age... It's the way one says, 'I just got knocked up, again'." She starts to gather up her coat and books. He's suddenly right in front of her and he playfully grabs her stuff from her.

"So, you're worried about what people will think about you getting knocked up again."

She changes the conversation. "You know, it's two out of three marriages end in divorce."

"Well, I think you'll find the... Vampire, human divorce rate is a little lower." They're inches apart.

"Just marry me."

"I can't. I have to be back at four. I'm supposed to come straight home from school." He pulls her close and kisses her. She hides her grimace.

"You'll be on time. I won't give your father another reason to hate me." He says as he easily slings her around onto his back.

{_}{_}{_}{_}{_}{_}{_}{_}{_}{_}

Swan House

Chief Swan is still in uniform from a day at the station. His brow is furrowed with concern as he reads the Seattle Times. 'Murders, Disappearances, Possible Work of Serial Killer...' etc. The article worries him. Athena sits in her high chair, eating her fruit without care. He checks his watch just as the front door opens. Bella enters, throwing down her book bag. Athena looks up from her fruit as Charlie is looking at this watch.

"Four o'clock on the dot. Does he have a stopwatch or something?"

"He has a name. And now he's too punctual for you?" As she starts toward the stairs, Charlie stops her. Athena watches, still too scared of Bella to call out.

"Wait a sec, will you? Sit down." She pauses, then moves to a chair, sits. He faces her and Athena watches from the sidelines, curious.

"Okay... You understand why you're being punished, right?"

"I know, I put you through hell."

"Yes, you did. But I have other reasons, for grounding you. Like how you've been acting towards Athena and I just want you to get some separation from him."

Bella sends a little glare towards Athena, which Charlie doesn't see but Athena does. She shrinks a little as Bella talks. "Dad, there is nothing you can say. Edward is in my life."

Charlie huffs when she doesn't apologise about Athena but continues anyway. "Yeah, I'm gathering that. So, alright. How about this? I'll make you a deal. You're not grounded anymore, if... You use your new found freedom... ... to see some of your other friends too, Like... Like Jacob." Bella darkens, annoyed of him choosing Athena instead of her. Charlie notes this.

"Look..." He pauses. "I know you two aren't seeing eye to eye but you have to get over him spending more time with Athena instead of you, okay?"

She crosses her arms angrily. "Fine."

Charlie sighs, knowing he won't get much out of her. "Alright." He nods and stands, grabbing Athena from her seat. She latches onto his neck as he carries her away. "Let's go hang in the living room and watch some TV, how's that?" He looks to Athena, she nods her head, a smile blooming onto her face.

"Okay Pappy."

{_}{_}{_}{_}{_}{_}{_}{_}{_}{_}

Disclaimer - I do not own Twilight but I do own Athena Swan so no Stealing or copying please