Part 9

-Flashback your pov story telling writing style-

You have to understand, that back then I was different from how I am now. I was a lot less confident outside of a fight, and had next to no experience when it came to girls. You know how Summer gets when she's gushing over a weapon? Yeah. That was basically me back then. I mean, you guys all remember that. And then, with Raven I managed to be even more awkward than that. She was the first girl I can remember having a crush on. And when I first talked to her, she had shot me down right away. Something about how she wasn't at Beacon to make friends, much less date anyone. I was a veritable Casanova back then guys. But, then as the school year went on, she and I did genuinely start to become closer and became friends. And then, as you know, Summer could make friends with anyone. She and Raven became close, and then of course she took the time to make fun of me for it.

We had been in the library, trying to study so we wouldn't fail some test or another. But, Summer was much more interested in grilling me. " So, (y/n)," she said. " Do you have a girlfriend?"

I had laughed when she said this, and then just tried to go back to reading. But, she wasn't going to let it go. " Come on. You're my little brother. You can't just ignore me, and not tell me these things," she insisted, and then I had just laughed. " I won't let you eat any of my cookies if you don't tell me."

So, I knew she was serious about this. " No, I don't have a girlfriend." And with the benefit of hindsight, I should have known Summer wasn't going to stop there. You know that mischievous glint she and I get in our eyes when we have an idea? That showed up in her eyes, and then she started rubbing her hands together.

" I know you have a crush on Raven," she said. " And, I was thinking I could set the two of you up. She acts like she doesn't want to date anyone, but I think I can make it happen." I had tried to argue with her not to do it, since I had already taken a shot, but Summer insisted. And, I forget how. But, she actually got Raven to agree to just one date with me.

Somehow, I didn't screw it up. Raven told me to meet her next week for another date, and that kept being the case all the way up to the dance. It was at the dance I was going to ask her to date me officially, and I was stuttering and a nervous mess. Raven rolled her eyes at this, and then pulled me into a kiss. From there, we dated for most of our time at Beacon. For the most part, it was smooth sailing, until our senior year.

Our senior year, I had found her crying on the balcony, and I gave her my jacket and sat down next to her. I asked what was wrong, and she told me about the bandit tribe she and Qrow had grown up in, and how originally, the two of them had only come to Beacon to learn how to kill huntsman. She told me that she had formed amazing relationships, and didn't want to go back to the tribe. But, the tribe was expecting either her or Qrow to come back, and be the leaders. And maybe I didn't handle it all that well, but I told her that she didn't have to be what the tribe wanted her to be.

We argued about it for a long time. She told me I should understand how conflicted she was about it, and I thought that it was an easy choice, a tribe of thieves and murderers, or her friends and boyfriend at Beacon. I didn't know how to handle it while still being sympathetic, and we ended up having a full-blown argument about it. And then in the end, she stood to go and tossed me my jacket back to me. It was storming, and then I still remember her glare scaring me more than the thunder ever could. " If you don't see why I'm conflicted about this, then we shouldn't be together."

She stormed off after that, and I was left standing there like a fucking idiot, so goddamned stupid to not go after her. I just let her walk away. I have this recurring dream where I watch the fight happen, and I plead with my past self to just go and chase after her. But, the bastard always stands perfectly still, and lets the best thing to ever happen to him walk away from him. I will always hate myself a little bit for letting that happen. And, if I had one wish, it would always be to let myself chase after her. Really, I would give anything to get a chance to make things right that day.

But, in time she realized I was right, and that she didn't need to go back to the tribe. When she had apologized to me, and said I was right I had thought she and I could get back together. She told me she wanted to go back to being friends, so I agreed and decided to wait. A few months later, she and I were on better terms, so I figured it was time for me to ask her to start dating me again. But, the day I was ready to, was the day she and Tai got back together. I don't know if that was his plan, dumb coincidence or just a kick to the dick by the universe. But either way, I took off and you guys know the rest.

-Present Day-

You finished telling the story, and then went back to tossing a tennis ball between your hands. " Yeah," you say. Your team look at you sympathetically, and you do your best to shrug and act unaffected by it.

" We have to go," says Damien. " But, if you need anything, just let any of us know." With that, they walk away, and you tell them you're fine before they leave. And then, you toss the tennis ball back and forth, and then realize how much you hate the idea of Raven being with Tai, and wonder if she trusted him enough to tell him about the tribe. You keep tossing the ball back and forth, until you catch it, and burn it. The ashes fall onto the table, and then you sit in darkness, thinking of the girl you let go. The one that got away.

( let me know what you thought about the reason they broke up. More chapters will take place in flashbacks, so I hope you don't mind.)