Part 26

-Your Pov-

You smile when Blake says that to you, and then you move on the fountain to give her a space to sit. A little nervously, she accepts, and then sneaks glances at you. You notice now all the features she has that come from you, most prominently the red tips her hair ends in. Also, you can tell beyond a shadow of a doubt that she's Kali's daughter. The two of you sit in a bit of an awkward silence for a little bit, neither of you really knowing what to say. " I wanted to tell you how sorry I am," you manage after a long while. " I didn't...if I had known I had a daughter, I would be on the first boat back to Menagerie."

" Apologies won't change anything," she says, matter of fact. It isn't an acceptance or denial of your apology. " You're right, you should have been there,and you weren't. But, I was lucky. I had my mom, and someone I came to see as my father. What matters if that I had them, and that you're here now to try and make things right."

" Thank you for seeing that. Tell Kali I'm sorry about leaving as suddenly as I did. And, tell Ghira that I'm glad he was there for you." She nods at this, and then the two of you make awkward conversation about how much Menagerie has changed since the time you were there. It's nice she's talking to you, but still a little weird at the same time. This isn't some friend of Ruby or Yang you're meeting for the first time. This is your daughter you're meeting for the first time. The thought blows your mind. The more you talk with her, the prouder you are of her. She's come so far, and you know she still has a long ways to go.

" Why did you leave," she asks eventually. " I've heard a different version of that story from my mom, and my dad, and Yang. I just need to hear from you why you took off without saying anything."

" When I met your mother, I was on a mission. But, I was only on the mission to clear my head from a lot of other things. Did Yang tell you about Raven?" She nods, and you notice her eyes become harder, more serious, almost angry. Clearly, Yang didn't describe Raven in the terms of sunshine and rainbows.

" When I was back at Beacon, the two of us dated," you tell Blake, and see her eyes widen. " And, then we broke up and she got with Tai, and so on and so forth. But, she just left without telling anyone. I heard from my sister, and I needed to find her."

" Do you know why she left? Why she left her husband, her daughter and the ones who love her more than anything else in the world," asks Blake, confused. " There has to be some reason as to why she just took off."

" We all have our theories Blake. None of know the truth, except for her. But, I know her well, better than anyone else in the world I'd wager. She would never do this without a good reason. Because, despite how cynical she may be, she truly loved the life she had made for herself."

" What makes her worth all of this," Blake demands to know. " What makes her worth everyone going out of their way to look for her? What makes everyone try so hard to find her? Why are you still trying to find her? Couldn't you have made peace with that part of your life and settled down?"

You let yourself give a soft chuckle. She's probably quoting from a romance novel. She's Kali's daughter all right. " The truth is Blake, I don't know. And I know that's probably one of the most retarded things I could ever say. To admit outloud I don't know why I'm going so far for someone, following her to the literal ends of the earth. To admit, I don't have a conscious reason."

She nods when you say this, which makes you chuckle. " You don't have to agree," you tell her, and she actually laughs. " But, when I think of her in trouble or hurt, my body and my heart just act on their own. And, I would like to think we all have that one person in our life. And no matter what they do to us. No matter how much we are hurt by their actions. No matter how much they try to push away. We all have that one person we would defy the world for. The person who can hurt them the most and make them the happiest. And for me, Raven is that person."

To your surprise, Blake nods like she gets it. Unlike everyone else you've admitted that to, she understands that fact. Maybe she's already met that person. You hope they're good to her. She deserves it. The two of you sit in a comfortable silence, before she hugs you out of nowhere. She pulls away eventually, and then stands up. " I have to go. Beacon curfew is coming up.Thank you for coming here. I'm not ready to call you 'Dad' yet, but I wanna get there."

You smile at her answer, and tell her you want her to get there too. She nods at you, and then waves as she walks off. Oum. Your daughter. Maybe there will be a day when that thought is less crazy, less mind-blowing, less confusing in the best possible way. But for today, you're a father, and you don't even try to fight the surge of emotions that comes with that.

For a few moments, you look around Beacon, taking in the scenery, and how little has changed. The fountain you told Raven you loved her for the first time in front of. The statue of a huntsman Qrow peed on as a dare. Memories flood back to you, and you feel yourself choked up, not sad or happy, just feeling. After a long minute, you start to walk back to the hotel you rented to stay in Vale for a little bit.

When you make it to the outskirts of town, your eyes widen when you see a red portal open. From it, steps the one and only Raven Branwen. And for some reason, she's pissed.

( let me know what you thought.)