Part 11

-Your Pov-

Sitting with Summer, you did your best to concentrate on the book you were reading, but she eventually smacked you on the head with hers. " Can you please stop sighing," she says, and you rub your head. " I've read the same paragraph three times now." You apologized, and then went back to reading. But, there was a nagging doubt in the back of your mind, which made it impossible for you to focus. Summer picked up on this, and then turned to you. " What is it?"

Standing up, you paced the room and ran your hands through your hair. " So, the baby shower is next week. And, then when are Tai and Raven getting married?" She sighs, and places her books down and then walking over to you, and giving a squeeze on your shoulder, and then looking into your eyes, hers tinted with concern.

" The shower is next week, and then a few days after that is the wedding. They gave me an invitation to give to you. Tai insists that you come, but Raven told me you didn't have to go if you didn't want to. She said she'll understand if you need more time," she says, and then she hands you the invitation. You take it from her, and then read over it briefly. Sighing, you place it in your pocket.

" Great," you say. " Well, it looks like I got to get a suit for that." She looks at you confused, and then you shrug. " She's my best friend Summer. Sure, this sucks. But I know that if the roles were reversed, she would be at my wedding."

" I get that (y/n)," says Summer. " And, I'm proud of you for making this choice. This is really mature of you to do. But, I need to ask. Have you gotten that closure with her? Are you really okay with letting her go?"

" No, I'm not. I'll admit it Summer, that every other night I have a dream where I chase after her when she goes to leave. But, what does any of that matter? She's going to get married to Tai, and I don't have any right to try and stop that." She looks down sympathetically, and you put your hands in your pocket, and then give a small smile.

" (y/n), I want you to go talk with Raven," she says. " Not to try and stop the wedding, but to get that closure. Because, there is a part of you that loves her still, and will always love her. You can only begin healing when you get that answer from her."

You give a small, sad smirk and then toss your stress ball up and down. " What's the point? I love her, and she wants to be with Tai. She and I gave it a shot, and nothing will change. I can't love her enough to make her want to stop being with Tai. I figure, why complicate things?" Saying this, she turns to leave, and you hear her digging around upstairs.Eventually, she comes down with a small box. Your eyes narrow when you see that. " Is that my relationship box?" She nods, and then opens it. 

" When you and Raven broke up, you put this together, and then told me to hold onto this, so you didn't see it, get emotional and then do something stupid. Well, now I'm going to use it to stop you from doing something stupid. Like let Raven go again, or at the very least, letting her go without getting closure."

" Summer, I love you. And I love her. But, I don't think there's anything in that box that can get me to tell an engaged woman I'm still in love with her. I can't put myself out there, not again Summer. Not like that."

She gives a smile when you say this, and then she tosses you a smaller box from inside the box. You open it, and see a ring. Your eyes widen when you see this, and Summer smiles at you, a mix of sad, happy and wistful. " You remember this right? You were so certain that Raven was the girl you were going to marry one day, and to be honest, I still think that one day it might be you and Raven in the end." As she says this, you look at the box dumbfounded.

-Flashback Your Pov-

You sit in the room with your sister, and then turn to her. She sits, playing a game on her phone, and when she feels you staring, she turns to you. " What is it," she asks, and then you sigh and pull out a box from your pocket.

" When we graduate, I was going to ask Raven to marry me," you admit, and she starts to practically squeal. " Hey, do that again but later. There might be someone in the hospital wing of Beacon that didn't hear you." She glares when you say this, but then goes back to squealing. Sighing, you wonder why you decided to tell the helpless romantic you were thinking of asking someone to marry you instead of someone more....grounded.

" And to think, this all happened because I convinced her to go on a date with you," she says happily, and you smile, knowing how much you owe to Summer for that. After a minute, she gets a serious look on her face, and turns to you. " But, how do you know Raven is the one?" Smiling at this, you lie down.

" I love her. I mean, she makes me feel really special Summer. If I let a day go by where I don't talk to her, then that day's just no good. She takes care of me, and I take care of her. The safest place in the entire world is her embrace, or when she lets me put my head in her lap. I know I can trust her with anything, and that she will always be by my side."

Summer squeals again when you say this, and then she starts gushing over you. Rubbing the back of your head, she turns to you. " Well, I expect front row seats at your wedding. And then, I want your wedding toast to point out how I made this all possible."

" Of course," you say. " And, I never thanked you enough Summer. If it weren't for you, then Raven would just be another crush I had. I never would have had any of this with her, and this is the happiest I have ever been in my life."

-Present Day-

" Whenever I think about you and Raven, that's usually what I think about," she says, and you feel tears welling in your eyes. " I think about how happy you were with her, and how certain you were that one day, you were going to marry her."

You looked at the ring in the box, and let your mind race. " I never told you this," she says. " But, when Raven had told me you had broken up, I cried. My heart broke when I thought about how hurt you must have been. This isn't some girl who you can say was the one who got away. This is Raven."

You open your mouth to say something, and Summer holds up her hand to cut you off. " If you let her go, there will be some part of you that always thinks there's a chance for the two of you. Even if there isn't, you have to know."

Taking a moment to think about it, she knows she's right. Turning around, you leave, prepared to take one more chance on the girl you love.