Chap 7

Getting to the 'base' was rather awkward as cripple kept trying to make conversation and we refused, or ignored him and made conversation with ourselves, one such conversation between ourselves made me slightly uncomfortable.

Declan lent close to me and whispered up to me; "Do you know why the man is so beat up Z? You were the first out of your cell..." I looked to the side and ignored it, I felt ashamed for some reason to have my friend find out, it wasn't the actual act it was Declan finding out about it. Wait...I felt a soft feeling in my chest when I realised what I just did, I referred to him as my friend. Though I did ignore his question, I saw Declan about to ask cripple himself before I decided to ask the age old question; "Are we there yet?"

I could see the vain in cripples head pop out more and smirked slightly when I heard soft giggles from Kara and Declan. Cripple gritted his teeth and I noticed that even though I had bashed his gun to pieces in my insane rage that it was now a highly explosive crutch, who knew right? Sighing slightly I kept my eyes forward, we were at the back of the group, the soldiers not trusting us to run off and if it wasn't for the fact that Kara was attached to one of my arms and Declan was gripping my other hand slightly, I would of made a run for it. This was seriously wrong and I don't like how quiet it was, maybe it had been the echoing quality of the corridor but after just getting back the ability to hear more than the sounds of my own breathing, the silence was killing me.

"So, are you going to answer me? Because at the moment I feel like we're being brought out to some sort of execution."

I knew I was being blunt but I didn't really expect the reactions I got. Declan's and Kara's grips tightened and the soldiers (cripple and commander included) all faltered in their steps and the previously annoyed expression left the hobbling mans features as he stopped to look at me, I must of looked pretty pathetic with two terrified people clinging to me in the middle of nowhere in the late afternoon.

"W-why would you think that?" Even though the man stuttered I knew it wasn't suspicious, the man was purely surprised and it annoyed me, no one else seemed to realise how sketchy the whole situation seemed? Shrugging I continued forward, the soldiers quickly falling back into a steady march as I felt Declan's grip on my hand loosening and looking down I saw the ginger boy sluggishly leaning more of his weight on my arm, nudging Kara slightly, I felt a wired smile come on my lips as we both watched the younger -I'm assuming he's younger- out of the three of us fall asleep walking. Stopping quickly I caught the soldiers attention as well as woke Declan up slightly.

"Come on kid, you're sleep walking practically, I'll give you a piggy back ride." I could see a small childish spark light up in his eyes as he nodded quickly though still sluggish with sleep, and helped the boy onto my back and felt him wrap his legs around me and lazily hang his arms over my shoulders with his head next to mine also on my shoulder.

'Commander' walked up to us as we all continued, and I could see now why I thought she would be the bravest of the soldiers, the others couldn't even look at us, and she came up to us and walked along side us and cripple, ruffling his buzz cut slightly telling him to go up front and that she would keep an eye on us herself.

"So Z is there-"

"I don't know how you know him, but only me, Dec and Jamie can call him that! You are only allowed to call him Zander! You don't know the importance to the name!"

I stiffed slightly, but played it off by shifting Declan slightly on my back, so my full name was 'Zander' but then again that could be a shortened version of Alexander.... This is too confusing. But I could tell that whatever it was that the woman wanted to ask me it must of been important.

"Calm down Kara," I gave her a pointed look," like she said just call me Zander, anyway what was your question?" She looked at me, then continued where she left off, "Is there any particular reason why you punched me before?" I looked to the side and saw a nasty bruise forming on her face and unlike with Declan I didn't feel any guilt.