Chap 9

We walked through the large arch way door frame and I stumbled a bit walking up the few steps, my fatigue mixed with Declan's body weight tipping me slightly, the sleeping male didn't stir however and I knew that when I hit a pillow I wouldn't be much different, just the word 'pillow' made me happy. Something comfortable to sleep on would be amazing. I always used to complain as a kid about how the pillows in hotels were really hard and stiff and right now, I think I could sleep using a brick as a pillow and be content.

"So, we do intend to allow you the rooms with the glass windows shortly, but we weren't sure how many if any people would be in the underground section of the facility so the rooms aren't prepared, so for now you'll have to sleep in the underground compound of our building, follow me, I'll take you to your rooms now." I couldn't answer, I didn't want to go underground again, and from that doe like look in Kara's eyes I knew she didn't want to either. We just escaped the underground now we have to be there again; I just hope one of us wake up before Declan, I shift the sleeping body on my back and grimace slightly when I wonder how a boy who looked so thin felt like a log on my back.

"Hey Rin!"

We were walking behind the commander and cripple called out to her, so I assume she's called Rin. "Yes Vince?" Okay so cripple is called Vince, most likely Vincent.

"We have to explain to them remember."

"I already explained to them on the way here, besides look at them, they aren't in any condition to sit and watch a boring movie about how we live in a nation of sheep ruled by wolves and owned by pigs. Zander looks ready to drop with the kid on his back anyway."

So I looked as bad as I felt, nice to know. 'Vincent' looked confused at 'Rin' calling me Zander but seemed to just brush it off as he nodded and walked away. "Let's get you guys to your rooms," She lead us down winding corridors until we got to a lift and we stood as the metal box descended deep into the belly of the Earth -or so it seemed- until it came to a holt and we were greeted with coloured walls, instead of the disinfected white walls that I had seen upon my release.

Declan didn't wake up as I shifted him again, his body slipping slightly. As me, Kara and Rin walked down the homely corridor nobody spoke, but we could hear noise in the background and for that I was great full. Even if it was just the generators humming and the sound of a distant radio, it was better than the deafening silence I was used to.

We stopped in front of two doors that looked lifeless compared to the rest and figured this was where we would be staying, "So, two of you will have to share, I'm assuming you and the kid will Zander?" absentmindedly nodding I thanked her, smiled and reassured Kara before pushing the door open with my foot, walking into what would be mine and Declan's new home for a few days. Placing my sleeping companion on the bed softly I turned on the desk light and turned the main one on, knowing that the last thing Declan needed was to wake up in a new place in the dark. Looking in the wardrobe that was in the room I found that it had a collection of both male and female clothes. So deciding to do something very embarrassing as I really was clueless on my own gender, I picked a pair of both of the clothes and walked into the bathroom, pulling off the jumpsuit to find out what my gender was, I couldn't really tell by looking at my chest as I knew I had bandages on my chest but I didn't know why. I did in fact find out that I was male and had a pretty nasty scar on my chest from something that I -and it was becoming a recurring theme now- couldn't remember.

Leaving the male pair on the side, I quickly went back into the room and returned the female pair of pyjamas to the pile and made my way to the small shower that was in the room. Walking into the shower, I didn't flinch when the freezing cold water poured down on me, I was more fixated on the feeling of running water on my skin, and the sight of all the dirt that I didn't realise I was caked in. 

After I got out of the shower, I quickly got dried and dressed and was about to start cleaning up the towels and empty soap wrappers when I heard a thump and hurried breath from the bedroom, so abandoning the items in my hands, I ran back into the door and froze for a second.

There on the floor, curled up in a ball crying and heaving was Declan, and I didn't know what to do when I realised what was happening.

He was having a panic attack.