Chap 17

I don't know how long I sat there, watching his face.

It dropped in a rather unexpected way, like the way...a child's does when you tell them you have to leave. That expression that you know has made their stomach drop because they weren't expecting it and it's like they're being thrust out into a survival situation. And you know that's how they feel because you can see them start to grasp onto anything, scrambling for any sort of purchase.

"Don't lie."

I freeze for a moment. I'm not so sure what Subject K meant. I'm telling the truth, so I don't know what she's insinuating. I watch as she lets go of Z, all shaking gone and I'm tempted to step back from the glass, but I know she can't reach me so I don't.

"I'm not an idiot Jamie. You're only a year younger than me. Don't think just because they've promised you whatever that you're free. You're just as much a prisoner here as we are."

I spot her fist flying towards the glass and watch as the bullet proof glass shakes violently when it comes into contact. I do take a step back now, she's dangerous. Possibly more so than subject Z. I can see a small smirk and it's strange because I feel like it's familiar, and this time I know it isn't a side effect from the simulator.

"I know that look...Kara, it's okay. Just come over here."

Her head snaps to the side and I see her hair lift momentarily and my eyes widen as I see the scar continue from under her ear and down her neck. When she faces subject Z - who still had subject D in his lap - she seems to sneer.

"You always go off the fucking handles Z so why-"

"Because you're a better person than me. Now calm your ass down."

"Like hell I will."

She turns back to me now, and I can see a new fire in her eyes that wasn't there before. She leans closer and if she gets any closer her face is going to press against the bars.

"You may think, that you have us fooled, but I know you Jamie. I know what you're like and I know how you think. And right now, you're confused and upset. This is a new situation. So it's time to think straight."

She leans back and I cough into my hand, I need to get back on track.

"I need to ask subject Z some questions, so if you wouldn't mind subject K, moving so I can see him properly."

Another fist crashes into the glass and I actually jump back and yelp this time. She glares at me and it's terrifying. She has a controlled calm about her and it's worse than seeing subject Z's outburst before. You can tell how angry she is from the fire in her eyes but the still calm of the rest of her is what's setting my nerves on edge.

"You will ask Zander questions when I think you can ask him questions. Now sit in that chair."

I feel myself backing up into the chair slowly, not caring that I'm sat on important stolen documents. Her voice is almost controlling. Like a mothers but ten times more powerful.

"Why are you here?"

I'm so glad the bars and glass are in the way.

"I'm here to ask subject Z some questions."

"On what exactly?"

I can feel myself shaking again. Chirst what's wrong with me!? I'm not going to let myself be controlled by some damn lab rat. I force myself to stand up and I see the not so discreet smirk on subject Z's face disappear immediately. I am not going to be intimidated. Walking up to the glass again, I ignore K's form.

"Why are your memories clipped! What was the point of allowing us to take your memories if they were clipped!? That was supposed to let us help you guys! I don't do good things, the least I can do is stop you guys from being killed! Your crimes are only punishable by execution, unless we understand why you acted we can't help keep you alive. The high council have given us a year to figure out if you should all be hung or not! Why don't you just work with me!"

I'm heaving by the time I'm done. And for some reason I have tears running down my cheeks, why would I be crying though!? I've not cried since -

When was the last time I cried? I - I don't remember. No. This is some sort of mind trick. It has to be.

"My memories are clipped? Better ask the fuckers upstairs then. Because I haven't done anything but be locked up for two years of my life."

"Z keep quiet. He's remembering something."

"SHUT UP!"

My head is swimming. No, no, no.

Get out of my head. I can hear subje- Kara. I can hear Kara. She's saying something to me. Why is my forehead cold? When did I go on my knees? When did I close my eyes?

"Shh...Dec, come over here. I need you to start helping calm him down, Z we need to get the guards attention, he's looking like he's gonna have a panic attack."

"Got it."

I can hear movement and someone telling me to breath? I- what?

"D, remember deep breaths. One...two...three...four...five. Yeah that's good."

"I...I can't breath Jamie. What do I do? Oh god, I can't breath I can't breath I can't breath I can't breath-"

"ZANDER! HELP I CAN'T CALM HIM DOWN HE'S HAVING ANOTHER PANIC ATTACK!"

"Jamie come on! Just like you told me right? Deep breaths. One...two...three...four...five. Now let's repeat that yeah? Okay just keep listening to my voice."

He- who's he? Keeps rambling and I can't even pay attention it's just buzzing now. I can hear another two start shouting. God why is this happening. Then it goes black.