Chap 10

I watched as Declan started having a panic attack. I heard his breathing speed up as the terrified kid was curled up in a ball. I started freaking out. I had no idea what to do in this situation. But I knew what I needed to know without really knowing, it didn't make sense to me either. I sucked in a deep breath and slowly reached my hand out toward his shaking body. Maybe touching him was a bad idea - but it wasn't like I had a better idea. I didn't know how to calm someone down, I've only just started interacting with people again! I decided to follow my instincts as I gently touched him, just like the first time we met. Pulling his shuddering form to me, placing his forehead on my chest rubbing circles into his back as my other hand was wrapped around his waist to support him in the upright position. His hands had gone from gripping his hair to my new pyjama shirt.

"I know your freaking out and probably thinking bad things but I'm here... The dark can't hurt you, they can't hurt you. I won't let them." He was still shaking but the grip on my shirt was lessening, even if it was only by a fraction.

"Just focus on my voice, okay. Breath in time with my voice" I made sure my voice was calm not to talk too fast. I started to pet his hair and mumbled about how he was going to be fast, and then I started talking about everything that had happened after he fell asleep, and thankfully his breathing started to slow. I felt Declan let go of my shirt completely and I pulled him into a proper hug. My arms around his waist keeping him close to me. his hands wrapped around my neck and his face was pressed into my shoulder (and though I wasn't used to such an affectionate position I ignored it.) I moved one hand from his waist and used it so that I could see his face, cupping the crying boys cheek. "Shh, kid, it's fine. Nothing is going to hurt you while I'm here." I wiped away one of his stray tears with my thumb and moved my hand into his hair, pressing his head back into my shoulder when he started crying again.

I knew Declan didn't want to be left alone, and even if my conscience wasn't screaming at me to not leave and make sure he was okay I wouldn't of left him alone in this state. But it didn't stop me from mumbling to his quivering form that all he had to do was ask me to and I would leave him alone.

But just like I expected, he didn't.

And so, for the rest of the night I stayed sat on the bed, with the terrified boy in my arms. My heart aching for a boy I once knew.