32 | Damage

Normani

DJ and I pulled in Jimmy's long driveway. "I'll just run in and get it real quick," I said to DJ as I hopped out of the car and headed toward the door. As I got closer, I noticed the door was already open. I looked back at DJ, who seemed to have noticed something wasn't right. He quickly jumped out of the car and made his way over to me.

"Let me go in first-" DJ said before being cut off by a loud noise. I panicked thinking Jimmy was hurt and ran in the house.

"Kevin?"

I almost fainted at the sight. "Nor! Don't-" DJ started but cut himself off after seeing a bloody Jimmy and Kevin on the ground. "Oh my God," DJ whispered. His eyes looked like they were about to pop out of his head.

Kevin looked shocked to see me. His eyes softened after looking at my expression. I was scared and he could tell. "Nor-"

"Don't," I said as my voice broke. No part of me was prepared to face Kevin today and seeing him made everything worse. My heart was telling me to run into his arms, but my brain kept my feet set.

"Baby, please let's just talk about-"

"Kevin, no," DJ said as he stepped in front of me, shielding me from Kevin. "Now is not the time to do this."

I didn't realize I was crying until I felt tears drop from my face onto my hands. "You need to leave," Jimmy demanded.

"I'm not leaving without her!" Kevin angrily yelled.

Hearing him yell only made everything worse. "Kevin, this is not a game. Get out before the neighbors complain to the cops and you end up in a cell for the night," DJ demanded.

"Please, just let me explain," Kevin pleaded, completely ignoring DJ.

"This isn't you, Kevin. I don't know what happened to you." Jimmy sighed as he held a paper towel to his bleeding nose.

"Nor, just please-,"

"No, Kevin. I-I can't do this anymore!" I looked up at him to see the color draining from his face. "Look at what you're doing. I don't even know who you are anymore!"

"Normani, please don't do this. We can work this-"

"No. The damage is done and as far as I'm concerned, we're over." The amount of pain I felt while saying this was overwhelming, but I had to what was best for me.

Not wanting to be engaged in any further conversation with him, I ran to Jimmy's guest bedroom and grabbed my belongings.

I walked back into the living room and Kevin was no where to be seen. "He's gone," Jimmy said as he held an ice pack on his left hand.

"I'm so sorry-"

"Nor, none of this was your fault. You don't have to apologize," Jimmy assured. He looked over at my luggage and frowned. "Are you uh, leaving?"

"I just need to be back home by myself. My mind is all over the place and I shouldn't have just left like that. I appreciate everything Jim, I really do. Thank you," I replied, trying my best to form a smile.

"You're going to be okay, Nor. And you know I'm only one call away," Jimmy said as he engulfed me in to a hug.

I broke the hug and smiled at Jim before grabbing my things. I headed towards the car where DJ was waiting to take me to the airport. Before I could shut the front door, Jimmy's voice stopped me.

"Nor!"

I looked back at the man standing in the doorway. "Text me when you land so I know that you got home safe," he nervously said.

I smiled at him. "I will. I promise."

DJ and I arrived at the airport within 15 minutes. We said our goodbyes and of course, tears were flowing. I boarded my jet and tried to force my mind to think about anything but Kevin. My eyes were heavy and before I knew it, I was asleep.

Omg I finally updated, whaaaaaaaaat. I'm so sorry for the wait, summer was wild and I literally had the worst writers block ever, but I'm baaaaaaack! I missed reading all the comments from you guys and I'm so happy to be updating again!

I'm so ready for this offseason to be over with! I miss basketball soosososossoosso much and this season is about to be crazy.

Y'all wanna know what else is crazy? This book was #1 in NBA stories omg. Thank you all so much for supporting this book! Many more ups and downs are to come and I'm so excited for you all to read what I have in store!

Atha, if u peep this, ily ❤️

Y'all are some reals and don't forget to comment/vote!

-D