Chapter Three

A Year Later

Ariella and Kaden were sitting by the edge of the Lake in Central Park. The past year had passed in a blur of stolen moments, holding hands, sneaking away from the rest of their friends to sit and just talk about everything and nothing. They weren't officially dating, yet. They knew what they felt for each other and they also realized it was no longer just a crush. The kiss they shared at Ariella's birthday almost a year ago was still a livid memory for both of them and the only memory of kissing each other.

Ariella still didn't know how to proceed next and neither did Kaden. The biggest obstacle was their families. They didn't know how to tell their parents and what to tell their parents. They themselves hadn't taken their "relationship" any further. It had mellowed into a comfortable friendship but that was going to change today, Kaden had decided.

"So how long is your degree going to be?" Ariella asked as picked at the grass  between them.

"Four years" Kaden muttered, his mind trying to comprehend a way to bring up the topic that had been swirling in his head for months now.

It was August now and Kaden was accepted into Harvard for undergraduate degree in Computer Software and Technology. His father Dante Steele was an ex CIA agent who had started up a security business. The security business had now expanded into a multimillion enterprise that dealt in security software and solution, both private and industrial. Ariella on the other hand was going to be junior in high school this fall. Ariella didn't want Kaden to leave but she didn't know how to ask him to stay for her. She had pacified herself by thinking that she would also join Harvard and they could be together there after two years but those two years seemed like a very long time.

"Ari" Kaden finally decided to approach the topic.

Ariella straightened and faced him when she heard the seriousness in his voice. He reached into his pocket and pulled out a small Tiffany's ring box.

"Kaden...what is going on?" Ariella sprang to her feet and Kaden followed her lead.

"Ariella it's..."

"Oh my god Kaden...what...I...." Ariella stammered and took a step back.

Kaden sighed and ran a hand through his already messy hair.

"Will you please listen?" Kaden tried but Ariella kept on shaking her head and backing off. Kaden pulled her by the arms and she crashed into his hard chest.

"It is not what you think" He said quietly.

Ariella stepped back and looked at him.

"Ariella, I know what we have doesn't have a name to it but I don't want to us to go on like this. I have fallen in love with you and there is no looking back for me. I...." Kaden stumbled for words. He felt so strongly for her that it muddled his thoughts.

"We are still too young and have our futures to decide and pave but I want you to know that I wish to be there with you, at every step and build our futures together. I want to be with you Ariella as your boyfriend." Kaden got down on one knee and pulled open the box which had a platinum ring shaped in an infinity sign encrusted with diamonds along the design.

"This is a promise ring Ari. I promise to love you and never hurt you. I promise I will always be there for you when you need me, as friend as anyone you want me to be. I promise I will support you in every decision you make. Will you be my girlfriend?"

Ariella couldn't believe it. It was finally happening. She had always hoped that Kaden would ask her out one day but it had always been a scenario in her head where he would show up with flowers and ask her to the movies as his girlfriend but this what he had done for her was the most romantic thing ever.