Chapter Fourteen

Thank you so much for the 1K!

You guys are amazing!

Ariella felt someone caress her hand and then gently grasp it. Before she could force herself to open her eyes, she slipped back into the darkness.

Dalton looked at Ariella's fragile hand between his own. He was afraid to even exert pressure because she looked so frail. He gently lifted her hand to his lips and placed a kiss on her knuckles. The doctors had decided to bring her out of sedation tomorrow. The ultrasound for the baby had come out normal and so were the blood reports for Ariella. Immediate complications were no longer a threat but she still had seven months of pregnancy which were full of risks and would need constant medical monitoring.

With one hand, he reached but paused, his hand hovering over her lower abdomen. Would she allow him in her life and this child's life? He placed his hand over her abdomen and felt the slight bump which was still not visible underneath her clothing. He caressed the bump.

Dalton pulled back his hand and sighed. He was looking forward to her waking up and also afraid. What if she outright refused the idea of moving in with him even as friends?

Aaron watched Dalton sitting by his daughter's bedside and turned to face Elaine.

"What were you thinking?" Aaron asked as he grabbed Elaine's arm and lead her to the side.

"I did what was best for both of them" Elaine replied calmly. After being with him for twenty four years, she knew how to handle his temper.

"She does not need another man in her life right now!" Aarons snapped at her

"What she needs is to know that she still is worth all the love and deserves happiness"

"That is what we are here for"

"No Aaron. We are there to love her and support but she needs someone to hold her and show her that he can offer her the world and all the happiness in it."

"You think she is ready? This is insane"

"You were there for me after what Franco did to me" Elaine said as she placed a soothing hand on his chest.

"That was different"

"It was but the circumstances were same. I was broken and scared and you were patient and loving. That was what healed me. Ariella is broken and scared and Dalton is willing to be patient and love her in any way she needs, be it a friend or lover"

"I can't trust another guy around my little girl"

"You trust me?" Elaine asked

"What kind of question is that? Of course I do"

"And I trust Dalton."

"Elaine but---"

Elaine went on her tip toes and placed her lips against his, silencing him.

"We are not discussing this any further now. Let's leave this on Ariella and how she wants to deal with it." Elaine said and Aaron nodded, letting it go for now.

"Aaron, Elaine"

Both Elaine and Aaron turned to see the Reynolds walking towards them.

"Jayson" Aaron greeted him with a handshake while Elaine hugged Kate.

"How is A..Ariella?" Kate asked. She had developed a severe stuttering problem in her childhood but now after years of therapy she could speak with a little stutter but her voice was low and feathery.

"She is doing better now" Elaine said.

"Mom, Dad!" Sienna came running down to them followed by Aidden.

"Hey sweetheart" Jayson said he hugged Sienna and glared at Aidden.

Sienna then hugged her mother and stepped to the side, excitedly whispering something to her.

"I hope your boy is treating my daughter well" Jayson said as he looked at Aaron.

"I have raised him better." Aaron assured Jayson as he raised an eyebrow at Aidden who was trying to find a way to escape. He had met Sienna's parents on various occasions but either at the airport or at the university if they came to visit Sienna. He wasn't officially introduced to them yet. He and Sienna have only been dating for about three months and were busy with their internship.

"I pray your daughter gets well soon" Jayson said.

"Thank you."

"You found out where Kaden Steele went?"

"Still looking; though it would be good for him if I don't." Aaron ground out.

"Thank you for dropping by" Elaine said as she walked up to them and slid her hand into Aaron's.

"We j...just hope she recovers soon" Kate said.

"Where is Dalton? I was planning on having lunch with my children today. Feels like I have no clue what is happening in their lives." Jayson said as he glanced at Sienna and Aidden who were standing to the side.

"He is with Ariella. I will send him out." Elaine said as she stepped inside. A moment later Dalton walked out.

"Mom, dad" Dalton said as he hugged his mother and Jayson patted his back.

"See you around then Jayson" Aaron said, taking his leave. "Aidden want to grab lunch with me and your mom?"

"I hope I am not intruding on any plans but I would like to take Aidden out for lunch along with my family" Jayson

"Sure. No problem" Aaron replied as he turned and passed Aidden "Good luck buddy" He said to him and entered Ariella's room.

"Look at you, Dalton, you n...need a haircut" Kate said as she reached up to ruffle his black hair which now fell across his forehead.

"Ma, I am good" Dalton said as he pushed back his hair.

"So how is the major deal coming along?" Jayson said and Dalton rolled his eyes.

"Really, dad?"

"What d...deal?" Kate asked as she paused while Jayson held open the car door for her.

"I will tell you over lunch. Meet you there." Dalton said as he walked over to his waiting car. Sienna ran up to him.

"Dalton, wait!"

"What now?" Dalton said as he watched Sienna look at their parent's car leave the parking lot.

"I am not coming for lunch. I am not going to let Dad interrogate Aidden. We are still working out our relation and you know how dad gets, not like you are any better, stop glaring at him!" Sienna slapped his arm and Dalton diverted his gaze from Aidden who was leaning against the hood of his car, waiting for Sienna.

"What do you want me to do?" Dalton asked

"Just tell dad that we got called in at the hospital and I will meet them for dinner."

"Fine"

"Thanks bro, love you" Sienna kissed his cheek.

Dalton turned to pull open the car door when Sienna called out to him again.

"All the best, for lunch"

"Thanks, I need it "he muttered and got in, giving the restaurant name his father had selected to the driver.

Comment and Vote if you enjoyed!