Chapter Twenty Nine

Four Months Later

Dalton pushed himself out of bed. It had been four months since that night and he regretted it each and every second of each and every day. Ariella and he were living like distant friends in the same place. They were cordial, asked each other about their day. He accompanied her to her doctor visits. The only thing was the flowers he bought home each night and kept outside her bedroom door. He always made a point to come late, knowing she would already be in bed because he couldn't stand her silence.

He knew what he did that night was not forgivable anytime soon. However he had forgiven her and told her so. What she did was nothing compared how he had compromised her trust. So for the past four months every night he bought a red rose with an apology card and placed it outside her room. It gave him a reason to smile every morning when the card and rose was no longer outside.

Ariella woke up and looked at the time. It was seven in the morning. She heaved herself out bed with her huge stomach. They had decided to keep the gender a secret and everyone was excited about the baby's arrival. She was now eight months pregnant. Her parents and Dalton's parents made frequent visits up to Boston to spend time with them. She knew they saw and felt the tension between her and Dalton but didn't comment on it. Kaden's parents had also visited a couple of times. Kaden was still off the grid.

She had asked Dalton to relieve Mrs. Kathy off her morning duties. Ariella enjoyed cooking and breakfast worked for her because by dinner time she was usually exhausted. She freshened up and opened the door. Before the rose and the card used to be on the floor but from the past few weeks he had placed a small table outside her door and kept it on their because she couldn't really bend down with her tummy. She smiled as she picked up the rose and card. It was in one of these cards two months ago that he had written that he had forgiven her for that night and had put it behind him. She was still working on forgiving him. She tried but that image and those wording came to haunt her. She loved him but just the thought that one fight and he had another woman in his bed did not sit well with her even if he did not sleep with her.

She opened the card and read the small note that usually accompanied it.

Dear Ari,

Today has been 128 days since I have last touched you and held you. I miss you. I hope you are a step closer to forgiving me. I am here waiting on the other side for your forgiveness and your love. I know what I did hurt you and I lost your trust in me. Please have it in you to forgive me and trust me. I love you.

Always yours,

Dalton

She held the card against her chest as a tear slid down her cheek. She knew he loved her without limit and so did she.

"Then why are you still here not talking to him?" She thought to herself.

She walked back into her room and opened the top drawer. She kept the card inside amongst 127 others in there.

Ariella was cooking breakfast when Dalton walked in, ready in his suit. He paused at the entrance, taking in the scene in front of him. Ariella glowed with the pregnancy. She had let her auburn hair grow and they now fell in a shiny mane past her waist. Dalton closed his eyes. How he wished this situation had different feelings. He wanted to walk up to her and wrap his arms around her and kiss her good morning but all he could do was sit in the bar stool and quietly eat breakfast with minimal and required conversation.

"Good morning"

Ariella jumped as his deep voice startled her. She turned around to face him. No matter how many times she saw him those suits, it always made her weak at her knees.