Chapter Twenty Three

Dalton woke up to an empty bed. He shot out of bed when he heard Ariella throwing up in the washroom.

"Hey" He leaned down next to her and held her hair back. He rubbed her back as she heaved again.

Ariella groaned and leaned back against Dalton.

"This sucks. I don't even have anything in my stomach."

"Let's fix that then. Come on. I will cook you something light." Dalton said as he helped her up.

Ariella grabbed her toothbrush.

"I don't really feel like eating" She said as she winced at the raw feeling in her throat.

"You have no choice. You need to eat. We also have an appointment with Dr. Denise later on." Dalton said as he walked out of the washroom, giving her privacy.

Ariella freshened up and made her way to the kitchen, glad that the smell of eggs made her stomach growl in hunger rather than twist it with nausea.

She sat on the barstool as Dalton cooked and set up plates.

"So you can cook as well" Ariella said as she took a sip of the orange juice Dalton placed in front of her.

"Yup" Dalton said as he flipped the omelet in air, smoothly catching it with the pan again.

"Show off"

Dalton chuckled at her remark.

Ariella remembered Kaden's attempt at cooking and the smoke alarm they had to disable.

"Mrs. Kathy made fresh cinnamon buns and French toast. If you want some of that"

"I am sure they are delicious but I will pass for now"

Dalton slid an omelet along with two toasted bread slices on her plate.

"Bon appétit" He pressed a kiss on her head and then stopped. They were still for a moment.

"This is so good" Ariella said as she smiled at him, defusing the moment of tension.

"I know" Dalton smirked and Ariella slapped his arm.

"Very modest, Mr. Reynolds."

They finished up breakfast and got ready for the doctor's appointment. Ariella was going in for an ultrasound today. She caressed her baby bump. It was becoming more prominent now and her hips were rounding. She was about to enter her second trimester in about two weeks.

She dressed up in a floral printed top with black denims and paired it with a denim jacket.

Dalton was pacing the living room, on a call with his temporary secretary. It had skipped his mind that today interviews were going to be held to appoint a new permanent secretary. All the candidates were in and waiting.

Ariella stopped when she saw him. He looked ravishing in washed out denims and a white button down shirt. His hair was towel dried and not styled the usual slicked back he preferred with his suits. It gave him an edge and he looked carefree.

"Monica, you take the interviews. Shortlist the candidates and call in the shortlisted candidates in a week's time. I will interview them then."

"Sir, I..."

"I assume you are capable enough" His voice took on a sharp edge

"Of course, Sir. You will have the shortlisted candidates list on your desk first thing in the morning."

"Great. Have a good day" Dalton said and hung up.

He turned around and saw Ariella waiting for him.

"I am sorry, just some office work"

"No problem" Ariella said as she held out her hand and Dalton took it, happy with this gesture.

They got into the waiting car, which the driver had brought up front. The drive to the doctor's clinic was a quite one.

Ariella looked around the waiting room. There were women in various stages on their pregnancy. One woman stood out. She was pale and looked scared; moreover she seemed to have no one with her. Ariella could have been alone, of course she would have had her family but the support of a partner mattered. She thought of Alice...Kaden was with her...with their child and this child he had with her would not know of its father, never get to be held by him...

She knew Dalton loved her but she was pregnant with another man's child. She was not yet ready for a complete commitment but they seemed to be heading that way one small step at a time. What about when they reach there? She hadn't discussed the future of the baby with anyone yet. She needed to talk to Kaden's parents. She needed to talk to Dalton.

"Why so tense?" Dalton said as he put his arm around her shoulders.

"The baby...It would never know its father...I don't know...we are headed somewhere..."She said as she waved a hand between them "But where does the baby fit into all this..."

"Ariella, do you think I haven't thought this over?"

She looked at him, confused.

"Your parents and my parents both had the same concerns. I told them as I am telling you. If we move forward into a relationship and things work out then I would love to give this child my name, again that is your decision, I am just putting it out there. As for things not working out "Dalton grimaced at that "I hope they do but every situation has two sides to it, then I would still be honored to be a father figure to this baby. The last name...it is the decision between you and Kaden's parents. I would love this child regardless of anything because it is a part of you and how can I not love that?"

"Where have you been all this time?" Ariella whispered as she laid her head against his chest. How could this man love her so much with all the baggage she carried?

"Waiting"

"And if I would have still been with Kaden?" Ariella felt her heart flutter. She realized that her heart preferred the idea of being with him over Kaden. The intensity of this feeling between them was not there with Kaden. With Kaden she was comfortable, she could see her future and their past was uncomplicated. They had developed a comfortable routine. Of course she loved Kaden but this right here with Dalton...it was something she never felt with Kaden and what she had with Kaden paled next to this.

"I would have been happy loving you from afar" 

Do Comment and Vote please!