Chapter Twenty Four

"Ms. Clark" the receptionist called out to Ariella and both of them stood up.

"You want me to come?" Dalton asked.

"Yes please" Ariella said as she took his hand. Dalton could immediately feel how tense she was.

He squeezed her hand in reassurance.

A nurse came up and introduced herself.

"Hello Ariella, my name is Susan. We have an ultrasound planned for you and some routine blood check" She read of a clip board and smiled at her. She led them into a checkup room where she handed Ariella a hospital gown.

"Please change into this and I will be right back to collect blood sample."

Ariella took the gown as the nurse left the room.

"I will also step out" Dalton said as he stepped out of the room.

The nurse came and collected blood sample and left, informing them the doctor will be with them shortly.

"I hate blood samples." Ariella said as she rubbed over the band aid the nurse had applied and shivered. The gown was flimsy and it was chilly.

"Here" Dalton shrugged out his leather jacket and placed it around her shoulder. Ariella snuggled into the warmth and the scent of his cologne.

"Hello Ariella, how are you doing?" Dr. Denise said as she walked in with Ariella's file.

She smiled at Dalton and took a seat near the foot of the bed.

"I am good."

"Any morning sickness?"

"This past week only."

Dr. Denise continued with the general questions.

"Alright, so far so good" She said as scrawled a few lines on the clipboard and kept it aside. "Please lie down and lift you gown"

Dalton took the jacket from her and covered her waist down with a sheet.

"Thank you" Ariella whispered to him as he sat on the stool next to her.

"So this will feel a little cold" Dr. Denise said as she applied the gel on Ariella's lower abdomen.

They were silent as the doctor moved the probe over Ariella. Dalton focused on the screen and tried to make sense of the image but it was all black and white and moving way too much.

"Ah, there you go" Dr. Denise smiled and stopped the probe. This was her favorite part of the job, seeing the beautiful expressions on the parents to be as they saw their baby for the first time.

"This right here" Dr. Denise said as she pointed it out.

Ariella couldn't stop the tears. This pregnancy was all the more real now. She could see her little baby all safe and loved.

"It's perfect" She whispered and looked at Dalton. She saw his expression and held back the urge to hug him. He was looking at the image in wonder.

"Of course it's perfect." He smiled back at her and caressed her face.

"Everything looks good and healthy" Dr. Denise smiled. "Now, I am going to turn on the volume and you can hear the heartbeat"

The room filled with a sound which resembled galloping horses.

"Isn't that too fast?" Ariella asked concerned.

"No, this is perfectly normal and it sounds healthy"

Ariella wanted to capture this moment forever.

"I will have print of the picture for you so you can show it to family and the next ultrasound will be at 12 weeks that is in two weeks time. We can detect the gender then." She turned off the machine and got up.

"I will be outside if you want to ask anything" She left them alone, giving them the time alone.

"This is real" She whispered as Dalton helped her up.

"You will be a wonderful mother" Dalton said. He was himself in awe of the baby that was growing inside of the woman he loved. He already felt protective of both of them. He knew no matter what came he would love the child unconditionally.

"Thank you" She said as she looked at him. Dalton simply raised an eyebrow in response.

"For being here" She continued.

"Where else would I be?" He kissed her forehead.

Ariella placed both her hands on his shoulder and pulled him towards her. She leaned up and placed a soft kiss on the corner of his mouth.

"I am so happy today" She whispered against his cheek.

"This is just the beginning" Dalton replied and firmly captured her lips with his own.

Ariella changed back into her clothes and they went to the reception where Nurse Susan was waiting for them.

"Here is the prescription." She handed them the sheet. "This folder includes all the information on what to expect in the second trimester, the precaution and the dietary intake you need to maintain."

Ariella took the folder and Dalton took the prescription from her.

"Ah and here is the ultrasound pictures" She said as a guy handed her a folder. She pulled out a sharpie and kept the folder on the desk. It was small folder with an outline of a baby on the outside. It said "Hi, I am------"a line was left blank to be filled out.

"It would be Baby Clark?" Susan asked them

"No"

Dalton looked at Ariella as she stopped Susan.

"It would be Baby Reynolds"

Dalton was speechless for a moment and then he grabbed Ariella and twirled her around, laughing.

"Ari..." He placed her back down and took her face in his hands.

"I am falling in love with you, Dalton" 

Please do Comment and Vote!