{Part Thirty} The world will keep turning

SIX MONTHS LATER

Richie POV

Snow falls softly around me hitting the floor and melting away as if it was never there. The tips of my fingers and the bridge of my nose are numb, the rest of my body wrapped under a thick coat. My pace quickens as I realise I only have half an hour until Beverly's leaving party, I swing open the gate and take a large step over some fallen rocks before continuing, rubbing my hands together to try warm them up. I feel guilty. Guilty I haven't been here since.. I shake my head, pushing away all my thoughts. I see it, in the distance and I hold my breath. My legs have frozen to the ground and I'm unable to move them but once again I shake my head and start walking.

Edward Kaspbrak

Gone, but not forgotten.

The sleek black headstone stands proudly before me and I roll my eyes in disgust. How fucking dare they let his Mother decide what to put on there. No one ever called him Edward. My anger fades away quickly however and a black hole is left in its place. I fall slowly to my knees and they burn slightly at the sudden change of temperature.

"Heya Eds," I mumble avoiding eye-contact with the ugly thing. "We uh, miss you, Bill and Stan are still together, isn't that good." I choke on a sob and the tears roll down my face, hot and salty to my lips. "Y-your Mom's g-gone Eddie. I kicked her-her ass for you. I promised." A smile appears on my dry lips as I remember our dream conversation. The wind picks up and I shiver, wrapping my arms around myself.

"I'm sorry I haven't come sooner, its just b-been too hard." I laugh to myself realising that I sound just like Big Bill. "Bevs moving finally, her-her Dad got arrested and she's moving in with her aunt in Portland. I'm going to miss her so much Eds." I start sobbing again letting it all out. "She-she came into my r-room the other night, like I used to do with you- and she told me she couldn't-she couldn't remember your laugh anymore Eds, and I cried as it is the only thing I've been able to hear since-since," I take a deep breath in before finally carrying on.

"I'm forgetting Eds, I'm forgetting, we all are! Soon-soon I'm not going to remember your smile or that you had asthma! I'm probably going to forget you hated being called Eds! It's slipping I-I can feel it going, leaving me slowly piece by piece, I can't remember your favorite candy, or what your favorite film is! I know they seem like small things but-but I knew them all, all of them and now, and now they're going. I'm going to write what I remember down. Incase it all goes. But Eddie. My heart will never forget."

I take another deep breath in letting the cold air through my body.

"It will never forget Eds." I leant down and kissed the top of the smooth marble, my lips freezing instantly. "I promise that I will always love you. Always." I stood up and listened intently for the small asthmatic boys voice I heard so clearly outside the hospital,

But this time.

No one whispered back.

30 years later,

Dear Eds,

I drank too much again today, the bartender recognised me and offered all my drinks on the house. I have the money so, I don't know why I accepted it.

I'm still struggling to remember who you are.

Eds, Eddie. It rings a bell. I've been writing these since I found that notebook. You know the one that had everything about you written in it. Obviously you know that though. I don't. I don't know how I forgot a whole person, I knew everything about you, just not, you. I remember a boy, but whenever I try focus my mind on him, he goes away.