Chapter 11 - Something Just Like This

Song - Something Just Like This by Coldplay

Chapter 11 - Something Just Like This

I entered art class, a nervous wreck. 

How in the world am I even supposed to approach him? He doesn't like me. 

Yep. Ever since day one, Mr. Dungworth a.k.a The Dung has an acute dislike towards me. The moment I took my first step I took into his class, he criticized me for being late. It was my first day, and the art room was hard to find. Sue me. 

But he didn't listen to what I had to say. That was strike one.

After an introduction, he had given us an assignment, and he gave me the lousy one. He made me draw a pot. 

And when I gave him marvellous sketch of a pot, with the shadings, highlights and even a background, he gave me a B minus.

Why?

Cause, I was just supposed to make a pot and not, and I quote, "unnecessary stuff I made to try butter him up".

I had argued with him about that, but he didn't budge. On the contrary, he was ready to send me to detention. 

That was strike two.

The last strike was when he was explaining something to the students, and I gave my perspective and ideas on it. He claimed that I was being rude, and sent me to detention.

Yep. 

That happened. 

And I was out.

There have been many times when we didn't agree on something, but whether he admits it or now, he likes my work.

I think.

He was also extremely biased in favour of Mia. He adored her. Granted, she was an amazing artist. I think we both were equally good, and this is not boasting. I am just stating what I have observed.

Also, Mia is....

"Hey Skyler! Are you going to be auditioning for the NTCs?" It was Mia herself. 

Mia Sullivan was your typical all American girl. Her parents were wealthy architects, and they raised Mia to become a good person, and a brilliant artist. She was beautiful, with her dark hair, bright blue eyes and slim body and was loved by all, not because she was pretty, but because she was a good person. She was good at academics too.

I kind of envied her. 

I couldn't help it. 

"Uh...yeah." I said, a bit shy. "Are you?"

"Yeah. The Dung keeps saying the auditions are gonna be tough. I am worried if I would get selected. I mean, if people as good as you are gonna audition..." She let out a nervous laugh. "I don't stand a chance."

"Oh please." I snorted. "Stop being so modest. I mean, have you..."

But I was  interrupted by Mr.Dungworth saying,"Miss Adams the class has started, would you take your seat, please?" He said, squinting his eyes at me.

He only said that to me. Mia was standing beside me! 

I did as told and took my seat at one of the paint stained tables and stools. I liked the school art classroom. It was messy, paint stained, colourful and full of art, just the way I liked. 

"So as you all know, today the auditions for the National Talent Conventions are going to be held." Mr. Dungworth sighed. "And I have been entrusted with the duty of conducting your auditions."