Chapter 19 - Somewhere Only We Know

Hey y'all! I completed the ending of this chapter. Sorry for the previous publish.

---

"What on Earth..." I muttered, squinting at the cheque. My eyes widened as the realization set in. 

"What the actual heck!" I yelled. Anger and irritation filled me. No way was I accepting this. Did they think I was a charity case or something? And how did they even know that the hospital bills totalled to a whopping 9000 dollars? 

I did not ask for money and I never wanted any! I would have pulled through. Did they think that I wouldn't have been able to afford my own mom's treatment.

Stop being unreasonable. It's just a gift. Take it. A calmer voice in my brain said.

Well, why does it always have to be something money related? If they wanted to give something, they would have worked for it. They would have given something more personal.

Besides, I didn't want a gift! I just wanted them to have a good Christmas!

I stormed out of the room and directly went to Philip's. Stephen was talking to someone down the hall so I barged into the room without knocking. 

"Philip! What the heck were you think..." I started to yell but then stopped short. 

There was no one in the room. 

I went outside and called Stephen. 

"Where is he?" I asked.

"He had to urgently leave for the US, Miss Adams."

"What?" I asked confused. "USA?"

"Yes. We do not know when he will be back."

The realization that he was gone hadn't yet set in. 

I pulled out my phone and texted him. 

He doesn't have to know that I know he is gone. 

I do not like your present.

Phil poo: Why?

Cause I don't want any money from you. I can pay her hospital bills myself.

Phil poo: It's a gift, Skyler. You can have it.

I am perfectly capable of paying the bills Philip. I have principles and they demand that I do not ask for money from anyone unless I really need them.That's that. I will hand over the cheque to George. 

Phil poo: Alright.

Besides, if you do want to give a present. I think it should be something more personal. Money is too temporary.

Phil poo: What do you mean?

It should be more personal.

Phil poo: What is that supposed to mean?

If you can figure out complex math problems and resolve national crises, I am sure that thinking up a gift for me would be cake walk for you.

I put aside my phone, still feeling a bit offended. For a second, I regretted my actions, thinking that that I had overreacted.

No. You did not overreact. Just... don' t think too much about it. You can return the cheque after some time.

I kicked off my uggs and snuggled into the soft blankets, the sillage from Philip's cologne filling my senses. 

God you are such a creep.

I stared at the ceiling, feeling a bit bored.

Philip was really gone.