Chapter 13 - The Nights

Song - The Nights by Avicii (RIP)

Chapter 13 - The Nights

"Ready....set...go!" Savannah yelled, and we were off.

The second round of the NTCs had begun. It was a group round, and quite frankly, a really tricky round.

As soon as the groups were allotted (my group consisted of me, Mia and Sophia), we were set loose into the city. Literally. Savannah told us, and I quote, "The city market is your supply room. The stall allotted to you is your canvas."

Each group had been allotted specific work areas (average sized stalls) to work in. The stalls were equipped with basic supplies - an easel, papers, pencils, a canvas, paintbrushes, primary colour paints and paint palettes.

They had given us fake money with the NTC logo on it to use in the market. It was a Monday, and the ordinarily closed local market had been kept open especially for us. We had been given 700 NTC bucks to spend, and an hour to collect our supplies and race back to our stalls which had been set up in a nearby field.

We ran as fast as we could and plunged into the market. It was packed with tiny shops selling all kinds of things: clothes, toys, souvenirs, crafts, trinkets.

"What do we do? What do we buy?" I asked frantically. I didn't really like being put under the pressure of time. It's very suffocating.

"I...I..." Mia said, looking around. "Let's go over there." She pointed to a cloth shop. But just as were about to go there, a large group of students crowded over to it. We stopped in our tracks.

"Let's go to that souvenir shop there." Sophia pointed to souvenir shop. We went there and started to look for things.

But unfortunately, we found nothing.

Nothing struck us as inspirational.

We went to countless shops. Countless. Utensil shops, chinaware shops, jewellery shops...we had everything at our disposal. Yet we could find nothing worth taking.

"I...I...I don't know what to do." I said, sweating despite the cool morning weather. I couldn't think clearly.

I can't lose this competition! I can't.

"We have just 15 minutes left to get back to the competition." Sophia said, her voice oddly high. Mia looked tensed and was perspiring too.

My breathing became erratic. All sorts of horrible scenarios began playing in my head. Me losing the competition... the Queen saying "If you can't be the best in the country, then how can you be the Prince's teacher?... The Queen firing me... Mrs. Swan, disappointed, firing me... I become homeless... I can't afford mom's bills anymore... Sinead's still gone... Mom in the hospital.

"Skyler?" I heard a far off voice. "Sky? Skyler? Are you all right?"

Everything came into focus. I blinked. My eyes focused on Mia and Sophia's worried faces.

"Are you alright? You were swaying a little." Mia asked, her voice a bit alarmed.

"I...I..." My throat went dry. "I need to sit down."

"Of course." They led me to a nearby bench. I sat down heavily and fell back into the wooden bench.

Everyone else had already left. We were the only ones left in the market.