Chapter 18 - Hold On

Song - Hold On by Chord Overstreet

Chapter 18- Hold On

Things were definitely awkward between me and Philip. It was so evident. 

After the almost kiss, both of us retired for the rest of the night without saying a word to each other. There were two bedrooms so when Philip took the first one I took the other. 

I stayed awake for a quite a while, overthinking what had happened. I really couldn't stop thinking about it despite my headache. I was so worried things would be awkward between me and him. I was also overthinking the fact that I had an almost kiss with a fudging prince.

A Prince.

Oh my god.  The thought itself seemed insane. 

At some point during my mental crisis, I fell asleep and woke up to a splitting headache. I turned around to find a bottle of Advil and a glass of water on my bedside. 

Who else but Philip would keep it?

I stared at it for a couple of seconds. Philip was right. I did remember everything, everything down to the last detail. I sat up and gulped down the Advil, groaning de to my throbbing head.

I quickly took a bath and changed my clothes, wearing the spare clothing that Philip had asked me to pack. 

I descended the stairs to find Philip sipping coffee and reading a newspaper. 

"Good morning. Your breakfast is on the stove." He said formally, his eyes concentrated on the newspaper. I stared at him for a couple of seconds and then went to the kitchen to get my breakfast. He had prepared a nice breakfast of scrambled eggs and some sausages. There was also a glass of orange juice on the kitchen counter. 

The breakfast was still warm so I took it in a plate and ate it in silence. I had a mental debate over whether I should try to strike conversation or not. 

Now, we were in the car. I stared at the town through the rolled downed windows, feeling a bit sad. I really liked the place. I also really liked how Philip was a regular guy in this place. 

I would definitely miss it.

I turned to look at Philip, who was back on his phone. Immediately, I felt disappointed. He shouldn't do that.

"Thank you for the Advil... "I started but then Philip interrupted me, still not looking up from his phone.

"It's alright." He said.

"I am not done yet. I also want to thank you for taking me to Leaton. I had the most amazing time with you and I really hope you had a good time too."  I said, grinning at him. I wanted him to forget everything that happened yesterday. 

Philip looked up from his phone and stared at me with a poker face. However, after a few seconds, he cracked.

"It was the best time I have ever had, Miss Adams. It was a pleasure to have you with me." He said, smiling softly.

He was doing the same. He was pretending like nothing happened last night.

And that works perfectly with me.

...I think.

The rest of the car ride was filled with silence, with the exception of an occasional dialogue between the two of us. As soon as we reached the castle, Philip turned to me and said,"The guards do not know that you are in the same car as me. The windows are tinted. Alfred with take you to the garage through which you will find a door heading straight for the kitchen. If anyone asks, make up an excuse, please."