Chapter 1

*Selena POV*

I thought being covered in mud from head- to -toe was bad enough. But of course, it just had to be raining.

My father is going to kill me.

With my best friend behind me, I ran as fast as I could. Every step squished into the soft, oozing mud. Seeing the door to the building looming in the distance only increased my rising fear. As we reached the door, I mentally prepared myself for what I would be facing. My open palm hovered over the handle before I painstakingly opened the door. I cringed as I was greeted by the most horrendous, high-pitched creak I ever heard. I could feel my face turning redder as all eyes turned our way.

I, Selena Cooper, have just made a fool of myself again.

***

Heading to Pleasant Ridge High School on my first day of senior year, the breeze swept through my hair; it seemed like a fairly nice day.

Holding the books that wouldn't fit in my book bag, I stopped in front of the crosswalk. After looking both ways, I was about to cross the road when two guys ran into me, knocking a few books out of my hands.

You would think, as a werewolf, I would have more coordination, but I criticized myself for being unable to dodge them in time.

I scrambled to pick up my stray books when, out of my peripheral, I saw someone bend down. I looked up to see Jake who had just grabbed my science book. Jake Evans had been my friend practically since birth because our parents are such good friends. His father, Richard Evans, is the Gamma, third in command.

"Lee, what are you doing?" He asked me.

Confused, I said, "Umm, going to school? You do know that we have school today, right?"

"Haven't you heard?" he said, handing me my book.

"Heard what?"

"We have a last minute pack meeting."

I groaned. I've always hated going to those. I often wished I could skip them, but knew I couldn't. My dad was the Beta, the second in command. As much as I hated the meetings, I knew I had to go.

As a pack, certain ranks went to different wolves. For example, my dad was the alpha, but because he passed up the position, Alpha Jordan Miller took his place. Being a ranked werewolf comes with certain responsibilities, like protecting the unranked wolves. Rather than holding a position of authority, the unranked were basically just civilians. Often, ranked wolves are held to a higher standard, thus setting an example for the rest. Those in the ranking system basically act like a counsel. We make major decisions, but we often include the unranked pack members by putting things to a vote.

"Do we have to?"

"Yes, but hopefully, it won't take that long, "he said, "I'll let you put your book bag in my truck."

Sighing, I threw my book bag into the trunk bed and looked toward the woods.

'Maybe I could run away...' I thought.

"I heard that," Jake said.

"Dang it," I muttered.