11.

The day after the ball, Alexandrina had gone back home to England for a week

Alice Reddins was thrilled to hear her daughter loved the dress, and was now friendly with Cedric Diggory once again. She had always believed the pair would find their way back to one another, in time.

Alexandrina always wondered about her father. Who he was, what he was like, and how much her mother and him loved each other. Every time Alexandrina asked her mother, Alice would shut the topic down and start a new one, never wanting to reminisce of the past. But Alexandrina continued to wonder, and with this new confidence that was building up within her, she decided to try again.

"Mum, do you think you'll ever become an Auror again?" Alexandrina asked one day as her mother and her were sitting at their little dining table, enjoying breakfast.

Alice was startled and she split her tea on her shirt slightly, "I-I well I don't know If I would-what's brought up this topic?"

"Well ever since I was a second year, I've wondered why we don't live in the wizarding world, if you were a witch" Alexandrina took a bite of her cereal, "Was dad a muggle? Is that why?"

Alexandrina watched as her mother's eyes grew wide, "No he wasn't a muggle, he was a wizard just like us"

"Then why don't you talk about him?" Alexandrina sat up a little straighter, ready to finally get some answers, "You only say he died when I was young, but you never tell me what he was like?!"

"I-"

"Was he bad or something? A death eater?" Alexandrina pried, leaning forward eagerly. "Maybe that's why you don't talk about him"

"No! He was no death eater!" Alice screamed, exhausted at her daughter's troubling questions. All the old memories she spent so long trying to hide, began to come back to her, and under her breath she whispered,  "Not when I knew him"

"But mum-"

"Please my love, I really cannot right now" Alice looked at her desperately, and Alexandrina's curious eyes softened as she stood and walked over to her mother.

 "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to make you upset mum" She gave her mother a big hug, and Alice leaned into her daughter, feeling lighter already.

"You didn't my dear, I just don't like thinking about what he did" Alice stroked Alexandrina's hair absentmindedly, "I'll tell you all about him one day, when it feels right"

"Promise?"

"I promise."

/

"Final call!" The Hogwarts express whistled one last time.

Alexandrina sat in a compartment alone, reading a muggle book her mother had given her over break. After the Yule Ball, students had the chance to go back home for a week, and many took the offer, seeing as it was the week of Christmas and New Years.