Chapter Twenty One

"Will Father breathe the sky again?" The whisper almost non-existent. A far-away owl hooting at a successful catch. Seven horned antelope grazing in the fields and protecting their young that are curled together on a patch of land and guarded by trees.

"Now, Now. You know he will."

"Will he pound the heart once more?" A sigh echoes in the silence, but a smile curls at the speakers lips. "This reward money will renovate Callshue, and maybe, just maybe, his ashes will be at rest."

"Merasdina will always be at rest, knowing you're alive, Vali."

"M-ur...Mure-...Duna-Dyne..Da!" The small young squeaks as a bubble pop from his holders' mouth. The young exceed dribbles slabbers which are rubbed off by a tail.

"Merasdina, lil' leaf." Miki smiles faintly, pulling his tail back – flicking the dribble off. Valvia blowing another bubble of saliva that pops and causes the small exceed in her arms to grin with delight and shift ever-so-slightly. "Now, you must be tired, lil' leaf, your mama and papa won't be happy if we kept you up late."

The small ones' orbs turn to his uncle and mewls softly before beginning to chew on Valvia's finger – toothless gums creating a slippery surface – miniature paws that are half the size of her palms clutching her thumb and pinkie finger.

"Eyes already drooping." Miki mentions. "Lil' leaf will be sleeping in moments."

"You're so... cute." Valvia murmurs softly, arms softly cradling a sleeping exceed kitten. His small purrs increasing in pitch as Valvia's fingers curl underneath his chin and scratch softly. The small exceeds' eyes slowly opening, blinking twice, before closing once again. Valvia's voice lulling a sweet, delicate lullaby. 

Knitted blanket underneath them, water gliding in the small stream and fireflies nestled within the strands of grass. The trees surrounding them whistling in tune with the wind, the moon glowing brightly behind patches of clouds resulting in the soft glow of Valvia's hair.

Something from a fairy tale.

"Hush... little kitten..." Valvia lulls, "Hush, little kitten..." She moves slightly and cradles the kitten. "We're going to find it... We're going to find it..." Miki rolls onto his back. "Under the willow... Under the willow..." Wind whispers past them. "It will lay... It will lay..."

"You love to dance... Valli, ever thought of singing with us?" Valvia's gaze tilts to the right, in the direction of Miki's head. Her blind eyes narrowing and closing. 

"What will lay... What will lay?" Valvia continues. "Let us find it... Let us find it..." Miki chuckles. "Dragons are here... Dragons are here."

"Keep going, Valvia."

"Over Ishgar... Over Ishgar... We will fly... We will fly..." Valvia's fingers ruffle the small kittens' cheek fur. "Through the cloud... Through the sky... Through the tempest rain of cries. We will soar... We will breathe... We will... live... as..." Valvia's lips close as she begins to hum the tune she just sang.

On the same blanket, Miki lays, watching Valvia cuddle his little nephew. A small familiar sense of calmness as the blind female coos softly, the small exceed slowly beginning to snore. Miki's green eyes hazy from tiredness, yet, he stays awake. His tiredness is only confirmed as Valvia's head lifts, and she looks in his general direction beside one of her legs. "You feel... tired Miki."

"I'm fine, Valli." Miki murmurs, tail sliding up above his head to tickle his nephews' flopped ears. The sleeping exceed bubbles a chuckle.

"We... have been up for seventy-seven hours straight... Waiting for this little one... to hatch." Valvia smiles lightly, slowly standing up without waking the kitten, and lifts Miki to her shoulder that clings on. "From the first crack... seventy-eight hours ago..."