Chapter 33: Sea Ghost

The Pirate City's mood seemed to change ever since we returned and the strange pirate ship released its ropes to connect with the other ships. The newcomer tied the ropes loosely though, as if saying that they wouldn't stay for too long. The pirate ship that had the name 'Sea Ghost' scribbled on its body was a mess floating on the sea. It certainly looked like it just survived a great battle. My curiosity wanted me to linger on the deck and observe but the Skull made it clear to me that I would stay inside my cabin. With a loud groan, I nodded and waited for him to leave my room.

When he finally left, I decided to wait for a few minutes before I got out of my cabin and walked the hallway to the entrance of the ship. And from there, I watched as the crews, in blood and wounds, walked through the platform and then to the canoe that would bring them to the grand vessel. My forehead creased as I realized that there were only few of them getting out of the ship. What had happened must be terrible enough for them to lose a lot of people. I craned my neck for a better view when a bare, well-toned chest blocked my sight. I looked up frowning and saw Owain staring down at me with irritation visible in his eyes.

"Didn't you just cause enough scene last night that you want to see if you can make another one this time?" he asked sarcastically.

I glared at him and tried pushing him to the side but he remained a concrete wall standing in front of me. I couldn't even make him move. Sighing, I crossed my arms and faced him.

"Who are those people?" I asked, ignoring his comments about last night.

But instead of answering, he grabbed my shoulders, gently this time, and started turning me around like I was just a piece of a weightless doll going to the wrong direction. I tried to free myself from his clutch but he was too strong to escape from. Sighing in defeat, I let him usher me back to my cabin.

"Look! I know something is going on. Don't you think that I deserve to know whatever it is at least? It's not like I can inflict any harm to the pirates!" I tried to reason out when he opened the door and pushed me in.

"I don't know the whole thing yet but whatever happened, I'm pretty sure that it doesn't concern a little thing like you. Just like what you said, what kind of harm can you do against pirates?" he answered in his usual arrogant tone.

I couldn't help but took offense on his words. He always had his way to slap me with the truth. Pouting, I left the door and resigned inside my cabin. I let him closed it as I sat on my bed wondering what was happening outside.

I didn't see the Skull during lunch. I joined the pirates on the dining area and they seemed to be suspiciously silent around me. They didn't even mention the ship that just arrived outside. Sometimes, I caught them looking at my direction and they would suddenly avert their gaze anywhere but me. This only intensified my curiosity and tonight, I would make sure that someone would confess about it to me.

After dinner, I tried searching the ship to look for the Skull. It seemed that he was still in the grand vessel with Captain Drakon. Jealousy started creeping in my chest when I think of Janeia and the Skull in the same room - talking and close with each other. No. I shouldn't be thinking of these terrible things. I knew that I mean something to the Skull by the way he kissed me that morning. It was more than kissing an old friend - it was more than kissing the Jonah of the Obsidian. I knew that what we shared with each other was not just a shallow feeling that would fade anytime. I knew there was more to this. But then, even though he made sure that I was aware of my importance to him, our relationship, if there's any, seemed to be still unclear to me. I needed words to validate it. I couldn't just assume things.