Prologue

There's the place that everybody calls hell.

School.

Don't forget to smile, Hyemi. My mom's voice pops in my head.

Yes, Hyemi. Smile.

And with that thought, the two corners of my lips curve upwards and the day begins.

I walk towards the new school. Excitement fills my chest.

I walk towards the school building, districted to my new home.

Dad's job got transferred here. In Seoul.

Dad, Mom, and I have found a perfect sized house for a three-person family. I get my own bedroom, mom and dad share a bedroom, and there's a guest room too.

Dad just got transferred to the law firm of Seoul and mom works at the bank. They're two of the best parents ever. They always make sure I'm smiling and they smile too.

I enter my first assigned class and then school starts.

-

During 1st Class:

The teacher stops his lecture about current events and what's happening politically at the moment. It's civics class.

He walks towards the ringing school phone and picks up. He keeps nodding his head and then puts the phone back down.

"Hyemi, you're being called to the office," he says solemnly.

"Do you know what for?" I sweetly say as I start to pack my belongings.

"No, I was not informed why," he says again before he continues his lecture.

"Oh, okay," I sigh as I walk towards the door.

-

At the Main Office:

I arrive at the front door and take a deep breath, hoping I did not do anything trouble worthy in this new school.

I hesitantly open the door and find the principle sitting at her desk with her chin resting on the back of her hands and her elbows leaning on her desk.

"Oh! Hyemi," she says as her head turns towards me.

"Mrs. Hyoo, did I do anything wrong? Did I somehow break any rule of-" I start before she interrupts me.

"No Hyemi, it's nothing like that. It's-"she pauses before she sighs and turns her head to the assistant principle. "Mr. Jeong, can you please drive her to the hospital?"

What happened? Am I losing it? My mind? Am I going crazy? Did I get hurt somewhere and forget?

"Yes ma'am," he responds and walks to his car with me following behind him.

-

The Ride To The Hospital:

"Mr. Jeong, what's going on? Is something wrong with me," I ask curiously as he turns in to the hospital parking lot.

"I don't think this is something I should tell you," he says and turns to an empty parking space.

Mr. Jeong and I walk into the hospital door and go to the information desk.

"Which room is Eun Leerin in?" Mr. Jeong asks the information lady and my heart immediately drops.

That's my mother's name.

Arriving to the room my mom is in, we walk inside.

I see Mom. Dad is standing beside her with both his hands gripping one of her hands. Dad is crying.

I arrive at Mom's bed and see her weakly trying to keep her eyes open.

"Mom?" I ask as my legs start to grow weak and I fall to my knees.

"Mom!" I say louder as I feel hot tears stream down my cheeks.

"Hyemi," Mom breaths as her head turns toward mine.

"Hyemi, promise me you'll always be happy," she weakly says. She looks forward to the ceiling and takes a wheezy breath before turning back to me.

"The best way for you to be happy is when the people around you is happy alongside you. Promise me you'll always smile, baby," she continues as she puts a weak hand against my cheek.

Her hands are cold and it obviously feels like she's using so much energy just to lift her hand.

I smile through my tears as the sound of my sobs fill the room.

"I promise, Mom," I says as I try to give her my best smile.

"Thank you," she whispers before the machine make a loud, piercing noise.

I try to block out the beeping.

I hold my hands against my ears as my incoherent cries get louder.

A doctor comes up to me and puts a hand on my shoulder.

"During your mother's job today, a robber came and stole some money. Before he left the bank, he shot her. I'm so sorry for your loss," he says.

He and some nurses take Mom's bed away with Mom still lying on the bed while I absent-mindlessly stare at the bed while crying.

A/N:
I'm actually really excited for this story. I hope you enjoy this story. I love reading comments and receiving votes, also feel free to spam my DMs! I'll be happy to respond!