Chapter 6

At the rooftop, I hear a bone-breaking thump. I run around the door and see Yoongi's fist against the wall. His head is down and I can't spot his facial expression because his head is turned away from me.

"Y-Yoongi?" My eyes has a strong look of concern and worry, this feeling is genuine and seeing him in this state makes the pit of my stomach squeeze.

"Why," he softly says. So soft, I almost couldn't hear it. Almost.

"Why what? What's wrong," I ask as I place my hands on each of his shoulders and straighten his posture.

"Don't treat me like you treat others. It frustrates me," he says, refusing to face me, but I catch a glimpse of him biting down on his bottom lip.

"I-I don't understand, Yoongi," I don't know why, but the feeling of him trying to avoid facing me make my eyes feel glossy but I continue to smile. I'll smile wider for him since he feels down.

"Dammit, Eun Hyemi! Stop smiling, can't you! I know you're not happy. I know you haven't been happy, so put down the damn act!" He yells, making my vision start to blur but I continue to hold back my tears.

I rest my mouth but my eyes are still shaped-crescent slits.

My hands have been off his shoulders, but now, his hands are suddenly placed on each of my shoulders and our positions are switched except it's different. Because his forehead is now leaning down on mine and I can see a pained expression on his face.

"Please. Stop. You smiling doesn't make me happy if it's fake," the close proximity of him and I makes my heart thump.

I start to feel relaxed but then something clicks inside me.

"Who are you to have me break my promise with my mother?" I say, feeling the tears sitting at my eyes that were previously due to sadness turn to tears of frustration.

"You haven't heard my story yet," he says, the look of anger on my face seems to make Yoongi's face look expressionless.

"Y-you don't know mine," I stutter, feeling the hot liquid start to fall.

"I've heard enough from that diary,"

"My mother said if the people around me are happy then I'll be happy," I say as tears streams down my face.

"Then she's wrong," Yoongi says as he stares solemnly at my eyes.

"Don't say that!" I scream as I start to sob even louder.

"I have the right to say these kinds of things," Yoongi says and I sit myself down against a wall.

"Then tell me your story," I whisper as I feel my anger quickly vanish.

"Do I have to?" He continues to sound calm as he takes his seat beside me.

"Fire away."

" *sigh* let's start off with the story of my mother. She thought like you do now. She was a happy-go-lucky. She always had a smile on her face," he starts.

"What happened to her," I ask, noticing the pass tense.

"We'll get to that. Anyways, she always seemed to love helping others out, if they're close to her or complete strangers, it didn't matter. With a personality like hers, she could never bring herself to say no. Not even to my father. She didn't love him, but he wanted her as his wife and proposed to her, and so, my mom being my mom, said yes. And here I am now. But the reason my dad was so desperate to marry my mother when he barely knew her was because he was known around the town for him being abusive. I came and grew. My mom always smiled through her pain, I thought she was so happy. Man, was I wrong. One day, coming home from second grade, I find my mom lying on the floor, her head was spilling blood and my dad was hovering over her weak figure with a broken beer bottle. I called the ambulance and they rushed to get her. At the hospital, my mom's life was hanging by a broken thread, and before she passed, she told me something I had never forgotten, even if it has been ten years, what she said to be still roams around my head," Yoongi explains. His expression falls weak and vulnerable.

I put my hand on his knee as a comforting gesture and ask, "what did she say?"

"She said, 'The one who smiles the most is the one who hurts the most. If you see a person smile all the time, give out a hand. They may be having a harder time than anybody. Think about it, reach a helping hand. If that person genuinely smiles, it may make you genuinely smile too.' And now I've found you,"