Chapter 17

"What happened back there?"

Oh shoot, did I say that out loud?

"Y-you don't have to answer the question if you don't feel comfortable to do so," I stutter out almost immediately after I blurted the question.

"No, it's fine. Now that he's seen you, I think I need to tell you the story. Make sure you protect yourself whenever you see him around. Keep your guard up," he takes both my hands into his own, gripping them gently, and pierces his chestnut brown eyes into my own. "You probably figured out that the man is my father. I told you about him before when I told you about my mother, right?" He ponders for a while before I nod my head and gesture for him to continue. "Anyways, he's abusive. When I was a child, my mother would stop him from taking his anger out on me and she takes in whatever was meant for me. I know she would silently cry herself to sleep, but she always looked strong in front of me, as if nothing was wrong. I believed it-me and my foolish young self. After she was-" he takes a while, obviously choked up by what he's telling me. I pull a hand out of his grasp and place it on his shoulder and shake my head, showing that he doesn't have to continue, but he just shakes his head back and heaves a sigh. "That bastard played the victim when the police arrived. I don't know how, but he got away. I tried to tell the cops but I was just seven. None of them really took my word for it, but one had a one-on-one with me and helped me get away from my dad. He helped fight for me in court and made sure that my aunt is my new guardian. She lives nearby but she has her own children to take care of-I insisted that I can start a job when I became old enough and I rented my apartment," he looks pained.

"Why is he back now?" I say in the softest voice I can muster, aware that any wrong move can make this strong looking man break down right in front of me as he drops his head down to the flooring.

"He- he found me. I was down at the convenient store across the street of my apartment and I guess he spotted me. Once I came back inside home, I tried to shut the door, but his foot stopped it. He got inside and this-" he gestures his body. I saw it. It was bruised, cut, beaten.

"Why would he do that to you?" Yoongi is such a sweet person - to me at least - and I can't think of anyone who would want to damage such.

"He's more mad than before because I left him. He said he's been alone. He saw me and-" a hiccup arises from his throat and tears hit the wooden tiles. "I-I'm sorry. I put you in danger," his shoulders shake vigorously as his voice when he spoke sounds hoarse.

"Don't apologize. I'm sorry I've avoided you. I should've came sooner," I embrace him in my arms, his warmth engulfing me, but it's not the time to get comfortable.

"What's your reason?" He questions.

"Well, I thought if I didn't become close with anyone, I wouldn't be able to get hurt anymore, but being alone is what brought the pain. I just realized that," I flicker my eyes down to the tiles, the different detailing of the different tiles suddenly has my full attention until I feel Yoongi's hand nudge my chin to face him again.

"I've come to the same realization," he says, his gaze flashing between my eyes and my lips, not trying to be discreet at all.

"Have you found anyone who won't leave you?" I ask, feeling comfortable yet, a little embarrassed under his gaze.

"Only if you say yes," he says.

"Yes to what?" I know what he means. I want him to say it.

"Are you willing to stick by me?" He lets out, filling my stomach with a swarm of fluttering and electricity run from head to toe.

"I don't know, only if you're willing to stick by me," I push on, a smirk resting on my features as I try to hold back a full blown smile.

"I know a better way of saying 'yes' than verbally," he says as he rests his dominate hand against my cheeks and slightly tilts his head.

"What is it?" I tilt my head in the opposite direction, shutting my eyes.

"This," he whispers as he softly close the distance of his lips from mine.

I smile against his touch, jolts of electricity make is way to where he puts his hands on my waist, the feeling of his warmth is clearly felt through the fabric of my shirt.

We don't take the position any farther, clearly not experienced with all the kissing scenarios described in places like Wattpad, but the feeling of this way of showing showing love causes me to shiver in pleasure. It's nothing grand, it's the way he shows that I'm important to him. How I was his first, and his confidence that I'll be his last.

We pull away simultaneously, panting, but never taking our gazes off each other.

"By the way, the kick you gave my dad was bad ass," he adds before giving in to an adorable gummy smile.