THIRTYFOUR|BITTER

The hall was large, larger than I could have ever imagined

The hall was large, larger than I could have ever imagined. I stared at it all from beyond the curtain. Hades would be here at any moment, he had to go and fix something with the receptionist.

I watched as below me Alphas and Lunas alike talked animatedly amongst each other. How could they all speak so closely, fully well knowing that the person that they were speaking with could be the next attacker of their land, the next to try and destroy everything they had worked for, to dethrone them.
It didn't make sense.

Hades appeared behind me, taking my hand as we started to descend the grand stair case that would take us to the rest of the party.

A man in a red suit announced from the top of the staircase as we passed him, "Alpha Hades and Luna Amelia of Black Thorn."

Some heads turned, others didn't even bat an eye, too busy bickering amongst themselves. Some women began to speak in hushed whispers, my wolf paced and hissed within me. Where they talking about us? Yes. Who else could they possibly be bitching about?

I was starting to feel a bit selfconsious. Where they staring at me because my dress was too revealing? Whilst the sweetheart neckline did show some of my chest there were many females below me wearing clothing much more scandalous than mine.

No. I knew what it was. Word had gotten around about Black Thorn's psychotic Luna.

Well, I would prove them wrong, I would be a lady. More for my self than my promise to Hades.

I held my head high and before I knew it we reached the end of the stairs. I had no time to get nervous, we were already in the midst of the crowd. A few people nodded to Hades as we past them, a few making small talk. He finally stopped to speak with another Alpha. He had sandy hair and piercing blue eyes that unnerved me, and on his arm was a small brown haired girl, her belly swollen with pups.

"Alpha Kaden." He nodded his head in respect to each of the two in turn. "Luna."

"And who's this?" Chirped the small girl, beaming at me, which making me want to sneer at her, but I refrained. I would behave.

"My mate, Amelia." Hades said hesitantly, was he ashamed of me? Weary of what I would do?

So instead I shocked him, taking the Luna in a friendly embrace, "It's so nice to meet you!" I said, my own voice making me want to cut my ears off with a cheese grater.

Alpha Kaden shot me a pursed lip smile, before turning to Hades. "Alpha, may I talk to you in private."

They disappeared off into the crowd, leaving me alone with this stupid girl.

The girl turned to me, her smile fading and her green eyes almost glazing over, as though she wasn't all there. "You're not like they say you are."

My wolf wanted to snarl at this naive girl. But I held it together, instead giving her a forced smile. "Thanks." I wasn't exactly sure what she expected me to say back to that.

An awkward silence fell between us for a pregnant moment before I broke it, asking, "So, how far along are you?"

She grinned, her small hands falling to cradle her large stomach. "Six months." She pauses for a second before her face flashed with something. "I have to go speak to Alpha Gabriel, I'll see you around though hopefully!"

"Bye!" I called behind her as she too disappeared into the flurry of people.

Fucking finally.

I hated people like her, always happy. She probably had a perfect life, thrown straight from the hands of her father to the riches of her mate. She probably didn't even know the real meaning of the world struggle, having her life given to her with a silver spoon shoved up her ass.

I found my way to the drinks table, grabbing a glass of scarlet liquid the same deep red as my dress, sipping it greedily. Red wine. I never had much taste for the stuff, it was always too classy for me. I preferred whisky, it was the fastest way to forget. Today I made an exception, I downed the first glass and grabbed another, I needed something to take the edge off.

The second glass didn't last much longer than the first, and before I knew it my fourth glass was being gripped between my scarlet pained nails.

It was then that I began to see things, I could have sworn I saw a flash of white blonde hair somewhere in the crowd. I could have sworn I saw him.
But I couldn't have.

He was human and he was dead.
Or so I hoped.

I pushed through Alphas and Lunas, angry people sending me bitter glares, but I didn't care.
If he was here I had to know.

I finally found the man, his back toward me. A part of me prayed that it wasn't him, that he was dead, I didn't know if I could ever face that bastard that I once loved ever again.

The only person I had ever let close to me.
He knew I was watching him. He turned to face me.

The glass slipped from my fingers, shattering against the marble floor; blood seeped from amongst the glass.

It was him.

***
Writers blocks a bitch
A little Arden reference for anyone that has read my first book xx
Anyways... don't forget to vote and comment!
-🍟