~Sparks in the Water - Sci x Outer

(Requested by Sci18-ship)

(~ = smut)

--------

(Sci)

Why didn't I bring my shorts? I thought grumpily as my pant leg fell down. I had rolled up my pants to wade into the tide pools at the beach. My satchel hung at my side, slightly wet as I carried an empty jar, looking for small sea creatures. I already had a few in my bag to take back to my lab. Plus more empty jars.

Sighting a darting something I crouched and scooped it up, catching a small crab. Smiling happily, I stuck him in my satchel after closing the jar and looked around.

The sun was bright above, glowing warmly on my face as I looked up. My coat lay above the high tide mark on the sand. It had gotten too hot and would have been too cumbersome in the tide pools for my little project: Documenting the tide pool wildlife. I captured small creatures in the tide pools, took them to the lab for documentation, and returned them to the pools the next day. All my equipment was digital and large, as I took detailed documentation.

Glancing around, I spotted something shiny on a rock out in the water. It gleamed as if freshly wet, a midnight blue color. I would've brushed it off as a stone if it hadn't moved.

The midnight blue streak bent sideways as if swaying. I stood up straight, looking at it curiously. Could it be a dolphin? But they aren't blue. Nor would it be able to beach itself so steadily on the angled surface of the rock.

Something sat up near the blue streak and it looked almost like a skeleton. Who was up there? As far as I knew, no one came to this part of the beach. It was walled off by high cliffs on either side, perfect for isolated tide pools like I studied.

"Hey, you there!" I called out, waving to get his or her attention. The skeleton whipped its head to me, almost in alarm, before there was high screeching whistle sound and the blue streak slipped into the water, the skeleton going with it.

What... I had no clue what I just saw. Shaking my head, I blinked my eyes. The blue streak and skeleton-thing were gone. The water glistened, mixing with shimmering heat over the water.

Sighing, almost huffing in confusion, I blinked a few more times and rubbed my eye sockets with the back of my hand. Must've been a heat mirage... The current was too strong for anyone to swim that far out. Heck, no one even bothers to come here because 'beach' was a relative term: it barely had any sand to sit on and relax. It was a rocky conglomeration of tide pools and stone outcrops.

With my reasoning complete, I glanced at my watch. I should head home, or else my little friends will run out of oxygen. The jars were small so I had to hurry to keep my little creatures healthy.

-------

A ringing woke me up and I jerked, knocking my computer mouse to the ground. Groaning, I sat up, wiping the drool from my face. Fell asleep on my desk... AGAIN...

The ringing continued and I looked to see my phone buzzing and ringing, slowly making its way off its precarious perch. I grabbed it and answered, rubbing some sleep from my eyes.

"Hello...?" I asked, sounding very tired.

"Sci, did you fall asleep at your desk again?"

I blinked, yawning, "Who is this?"

"It's Blue, Sci, your friend," Blue said.

"Hi, Blue, how are you?" I asked, leaning back in my chair.

"Exhausted. I just got back from my trip and we found something odd in the nets."

"Huh? Trip? But you're not supposed to be back for..." I looked at my calendar, blinking, "Oh, is it really the fifteenth?"