The Best Day - A DustBerry Short

(Requested by SnowyGlaceon )

(Dust)

I normally sleep all day. Most days I worked third shift. Third shift is hard to manage, working all late night to come home just after the sun rises and just crash next to my husband. Sleep would consume me and I'd wake to no Blue, late afternoon, aching bones, and a rumbling stomach.

Long hours, late night shift: sounds awful. But it pays well, and I get reasonable time off. Therefore my husband and my boys have a happy life. If only I were awake more to see it. Even on my days off, I felt tired. I'd fall asleep on the couch if I tried to be out and about. My boys would snuggle me most times when I do fall asleep out there. And as much as they tell me that's all they want from me, I feel like it's not enough.

Trudging home, I was so happy the next two and a half days were my off days. I had just worked a double shift. Maybe I could actually get up and play with my boys. They were getting so big already... Even though I always made sure I had their birthday off to celebrate, I feel like I've missed out on their growth. They just kept getting bigger and bigger. Blue always kept me up to date, who did what, when stuff happened, all that. But again, once the moment passed, something intangible was missing.

I got home. It was already sunset. The boys would be getting ready for bed. Stepping inside, I looked around for anyone. Blue, the boys...

I didn't notice anyone, so I just set my stuff down and went to the kitchen. Blue always had something waiting for me when I got back from work, always making sure I ate something. Tonight, it was a sub and some chips. So they must've had a lazy dinner tonight, since Blue normally left a hot plate in the oven from whatever they had for dinner.

Taking my plate, grabbing a rootbeer from the fridge, I turned to head upstairs. Maybe I could catch an episode or two of Blues favorite show with him before he fell asleep as I got ready for bed. A noise sounded at the top of the stairs and I looked up to see my little troublemaker, Fury, giggling down at me in his bath towel. He still had foamy bubbles on his head and I grinned at him, "Fury, are you running from mama?"

He nodded vigorously, my little grin on his face as he kept giggling. So, grinning back, I hunched down, holding my plate in one hand and making a grabby motion with my other hand. It made him giggle more as I slowly approached him. He almost seemed frozen in place with the expectation of papa's tickles.

Blue saw, standing behind him. He snuck up behind Fury, tiptoeing as I kept going up and up. I lunged for Fury as Blue lifted him and blew a raspberry on his belly, making the boy squeal with delight. Fury was a giggling mess in Blue's arms, but now Blue was distracted. So a little naked Sprinkle came dashing past his mother's legs down the stairs. Only to run smack dab into papa. I wrapped my empty arm around him and scooped him up with his own momentum. Soon both boys were giggly messes as I climbed the rest of the stairs with Sprinkle on my shoulder. I smiled at Blue, giving him a little kiss, "Having fun with bath time, babe?"