Chapter 1: Just Another Day

"Don't you have your own bed?" A voice groans in annoyance as my body is shaken violently

"Stop shaking me," I growl, instinctively flinging my hand upwards and connecting with the person's face.

I unwillingly open my eyes and observe Jasper's angry, almond brown ones staring back at me. His light brown curls covering his forehead as he looks down at me. He storms out of the room, skilfully avoiding letting his temper get the best of him-- we all know how that ends if he didn't. I eye the dark blue duvet which didn't belong on my bed, instantly realizing why Jasper's mood was sour-- I was in his bed.

I attempt to get up, but I collapse onto the bed as soon as I lift my upper body. Reaching for my phone secured under the pillow, I see it's 8:00 a.m. I groan at the fact I have less time to prepare for school due to my laziness, not forgetting to mentally slap myself for being stubborn and not waking up when Jasper shook me the first few times.

With much effort, I climb off the bed and enter my bathroom. I stumble over everything as I shower, brush my teeth, cleanse my face, and style my dark brown, curly hair in a hurried manner. I quickly dress in a white halter top, black jeggings, and a black sneaker, putting on light makeup and going downstairs. I enter the kitchen to perceive the familiar sight of my brother preparing breakfast.

"Good morning, brother!" I say enthusiastically, trying to annoy him.

He turns his head towards me, with annoyance visible on his face. I innocently smile at him, and he scoffs, returning to his task. With the copious amount he is preparing, I can assume it is for us both. While waiting for the food, I decide to scroll through my messages. I smile as I notice the routine texts from my best friends Aria and Damien.

Jasper places a plate of pancakes, bacon, and eggs in front of me. The smell makes my mouth dribble with desire. I pick up my fork and dig in immediately. "Mmmmm! This tastes so good! Thank you, Jas." I moan, with my mouth full of food. Jasper smirks and chuckles at me because I am pretty sure I look like I hadn't been fed in days.

"What did you expect, baby sister? The finest chef cooked it and you're welcome." He replies, with a low chuckle.

"Oh, Chef Boyardee cooked this?" I say, mockingly searching the kitchen for him. Jasper places his hand over his heart, his face cringing in imaginary pain. He pouts his lip and I laugh, before kissing his cheek.

"Have a good day sis," he says.

"You too, Jas. Don't get into any trouble." I exclaim as I exit the front door.

As I walk into the garage to retrieve my black Mitsubishi, my mother stumbles to the front door. The thought that if my father was here, my mother would have never acted like this lingers more than is welcome. Before her eyes never glanced at a drink twice, now it's all her eyes can see.