Chapter 8: Could it be?

When I get to the house, I park in the garage and enter the house quickly

When I get to the house, I park in the garage and enter the house quickly. To my surprise I see Jasper sitting on the couch with mom. "Jas!" I scream excitedly.

He turns to me and I notice tears falling down his cheeks. He smiles at me and immediately my heart breaks. I waste no time rushing over to him and embracing him. He rests his head on my shoulder and I hold him as he breaks down —as he always does for me. My mother then leaves, obviously bothered by my presence.

He grabs a tissue from the coffee table and I turn away from him, stopping my own tears from falling. Jasper has always been my best friend — my first ever and will continue to be. It is hard for me to just sit here and comfort him without shedding my own tears.

"What's Wrong, Jas?" My voice is shaky, as I refrain from crying.

"It's Ariel." He puts his head down.

"What happened to her?" I ask, afraid of what his response might be.

"She's hospitalized. We lost our baby and I might lose her too." He says, crying harder. This time I let my own tears fall and I cry with my brother. This must be burdensome for him.

Ariel is his mate and without her, I could lose him too. I hope she pulls through and that they can try again to give me a niece or a nephew — I can wait. We sit there, crying for a while, wrapped up in each other's calming embrace. Jasper gets a call to come to the hospital, and he leaves.

I go upstairs into my room and get undressed. I take a long shower and cry more about Ariel. I pray to the moon goddess that she will be alright. Today has been a day full of events —First Jerome, now Jasper.

Jerome must still be out with his sister, I didn't hear him come home. They probably have a bond like Jasper and me— it is nice to be close to your siblings most times.

When I'm done showering, I wrap myself in my robe and sit on my bed. I decide to check my phone and discover significant messages from Aria. I quickly call her, but it rings out.

There is a knock at my bedroom door. I open it to see Aria standing there, her cheeks tear-stained. I pull her into the room, hugging her tightly and she starts crying, her head resting on my shoulder.

"Everything will be alright, Ari," I say reassuringly and she shakes her head.

"Ariel is in the hospital, Leianne. That's the only person I have other than you and Damien." She says, wailing.

"I know, babe. She'll make it! She's stronger than we all know!" I reply, rubbing her back.

"You're right, she will be fine!" Aria agrees, her lips tugging into a weary smile.

"Let's watch a movie," I say, and she nods her head.

I pull out my laptop from the drawer and hand it over to Aria to pick a movie. I go downstairs to grab some snacks from the cabinet and drinks from the fridge. I grab everything Ari would want to eat along with the new tub of ice cream I bought yesterday — a canny decision Leianne!