Chapter 16: First Heat

Stabbing

Stabbing. That is what it feels like. It's like someone is jabbing a knife into my abdomen over and over. I try to move, but the minor action causes an increase in my suffering. My body convulses as the stabbing transforms into tearing. My stomach now feels like it is about to rip open, and all my organs will spill out. My fingertips graze my arm, the erect hairs prickly against it. The scorching sensation contrasts with my exterior temperature. Heat. The situation can only be described in the simplest terms as icky. Faster than I can blink, the pain reduces to a throb.

I need to get as far away as I can. I sniff the air for Jerome's scent, and it appears faded. With all my strength, I change into the nearest outfit, and stealthily make my way to the backyard. I collapse onto the grass, the ache unbearable. I grip my stomach tightly, as the heat creates an intense discomfort. When it subsides, I shift, relinquishing all control to Artemis.

"We need our mate." She inhales the air, sensing a trail of his aroma. She begins trudging through the woods, carefully inspecting her surroundings. A writhing pain consumes her, crumpling her to the ground—even Artemis can't handle the pain.

Suddenly, a cold breeze blows, raising her fur and her ears. There is danger approaching, and we are unprepared. Artemis struggles to regain her composure, the pain still a minor distraction. She gets into a fighting stance, and I ready my mind to guide her.

"They're here." Artemis thinks, and I nod.

"Be ready," I respond.

Six multi-colored wolves jump out from behind the trees, circling Artemis. She may be one of the strongest wolves in the pack, but six against one is a clear disadvantage. Artemis maintains her stance nonetheless, not a single moment of faltering. I observe the wolves, one of them striking me as familiar. As soon as I begin analyzing them properly, the wolves jump on top of us, our body hitting the ground harshly. They begin scratching, clawing, and biting us. We growl powerfully, pushing them off us with moderate force.

"Stay away," Artemis warns, pouncing onto a gray wolf, snapping its neck instantly.

The other wolves release a pained howl, resembling a scream of agony. Their angry eyes turn towards Artemis, to whom I yell "Run!" She snarls, showing her teeth as a threat towards the five wolves. They all form a straight line in our line of sight, one after the other charging in our direction.

Artemis claws at their necks and abdomens, tossing their bodies around like leaves. I coo proudly at her, as she rips through her attackers ruthlessly. Unbeknownst to us, a wolf is lurking at our back. Teeth sink into our neck, attempting to separate our head from our body. Artemis paws at the air, gasping for breath. With her last ounce of strength, she tosses the wolf onto his friends.

The wolves abruptly retreat, dragging the dead wolf with them. Artemis gently claws at her neck, crimson liquid covering her paws. I suddenly feel suffocated, my strength diminishing. Artemis drags her battered body to the Knight House before darkness absorbs us both.